Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gcassar is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Design of javascript desktop app for future conversion to mobile device

Unanswered: Design of javascript desktop app for future conversion to mobile device

I am about to write a Jasvascript desktop application. (It’s a mapping application using ESRI Javascript API) I plan to convert this application to run on Mobile devices down the track using Sencha Touch.
    I don’t really have time to sift through all the documentation yet but wondered if there are some design considerations I need to take on board now within my javascript desktop web page.
    Eg.
    HTML elements / Styles / Page layout to use or avoid. That sort of thing.
    Does anyone have a few tips or reference to the documentation I need ?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on your UI but moving to mobile from desktop usually will require a different UI
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gcassar is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    It all depends on your UI but moving to mobile from desktop usually will require a different UI
    Thanks Mitchell and apologies for being vague. I am aware that I will need to break the UI up into components to make it workable on a mobile. Example: putting the query menu and results sections on separate screens or tabs. (And probably tweaking the CSS.)
    When I do this, is it just a matter of creating the new mobile UI stucture with Sencha Touch and essentially calling the same javascript functions where appropriate that I have already written ?
    If so, then I'd like to know whether there are types of document elements or styles that simply don't work well in the Sencha Touch application. Also do Dojo.connect events work the same ? I hope that makes it clearer.

Thread Participants: 1