Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mjgallag is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Is Micro-loader Delta-update Mechanism available with Native Packaging?

Unanswered: Is Micro-loader Delta-update Mechanism available with Native Packaging?

Hi,

Seeing as Native Packaging is described as "providing a way to seamlessly 'wrap' your web app in a native shell" I'm hoping I'd only have to deal with App Store based app updates when Sencha's "native shell" is updated, i.e. not that often. This would be great because App Store updates take a week to get approved and require user intervention. If the Micro-loader Delta-update Mechanism coupled with HTML 5 Application Cache described in http://www.sencha.com/blog/behind-se...build-process/ were to work with Native Packaging it seems it would be the best of both worlds as the vast majority of updates would be seamless to the user just like a web app but you'd also have the device access advantages of a native app, a true "hybrid" approach.

I'm very new to Sencha Touch 2 but it doesn't seem to work that way, at least "out of the box". Benefit of "out of the box" way seems to be that you don't need a server, as everything is on device, which is great for some use cases, and certainly simpler. But, it seems like I'd have to do an App Store update every time I made one little change.

I'm sure there is is way for me to Micro-loader Delta-update Native "hybrid" route I'm just trying to understand the best way to get there now and if it's not currently quite "built in" whether it's on the road map.

Would be great if someone could shed some light on this topic.

In the meantime I'll be familiarizing myself with Sencha Touch 2 and coding my app, lucky I can put this concern off for a while, but figured I try and collect some advise in the meantime

Thanks a lot,
    Mike

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

For native wrapping you have to build a new version and submit to the app stores without using the microloader.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mjgallag is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    For native wrapping you have to build a new version and submit to the app stores without using the microloader.
    Thanks for your reply Mitchell.

Any chance microloader deltas via server for update instead of app store updates, as I described above, might be on the Road Map as a 2nd non-default option for native wrapping?

It seems to offer some pretty big advantages, giving you the ability to push small fixes and tweaks at anytime without disturbing users, while still getting the benefits of native packaging, even if it comes with greater complexity, at least out of the gate.

I imagine there is a way to make it work on my end if I do a typical microloader delta web build and then handle the packaging myself, and I'll investigate that when the times comes, but I'd love to be able to avoid it with a new native build feature

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jamezilla is on a distinguished road

Default +1

+1

I'd really like to see this feature too. It's the best of both worlds, and seems like a natural progression. Yes, users expect to download updates from the app store, but that doesn't mean we should live in the old way of doing things. Onward!

Thread Participants: 2