Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    morzechowski is on a distinguished road

Default Cross-platform compatibility?

Cross-platform compatibility?

Hello everyone

I‘ve just started with Ext JS so please go easy on me
    I got interested in this piece of technology as a replacement for Adobe Flex. I had a look at some tutorials and it all looks promising. I’ve created some simple example and I've already run into some incompatibilities between browsers (I am using up-to-date versions).
    I did example which is displaying some messages using window (Ext.Window) and I've noticed different behaviour between browsers. To be more precise default button for closing (X) of that popup window does not appear in Firefox. For that reason I had to result to using custom buttons with linked actions (windows.close()) instead. I was under impression that this piece of technology was supposed to be cross-platform compatible but if I am running into issues like that straight away I am not sure if it’s worth it.
    What are your experiences in that respect? Do we still have to test everything (and use workarounds if necessary) in 5 different browsers to make sure our app will work for all customers?

Regards
    Michael

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

We do fairly extensive cross browser testing. If you'd like to post a simple test case, along with the browser version/OS we'd be happy to look into it.

As an example, I ran the following on FF12 on Win7:

Code:
    Ext.onReady(function() {

Ext.create('Ext.window.Window', {
            closable: true,
            title: 'Foo',
            width: 200,
            height: 200,
            autoShow: true
        });

});
    I see the close button as expected.
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Don't be afraid of the source code!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Evant

Thanks a bunch for prompt reply.
    I tried to run your example on FF12, W7 (x64) and I do not get a close button. I do get it in all other browsers however in Opera 11.62 it looks a bit dodgy (it works though).

Regards
    Michael

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

That's rather odd, perhaps you could put an example online? Also make sure you haven't got a cached css version.

Also, see: http://screencast.com/t/vagdMIwaaKn
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Evant

Please have a look at attached screenshot (full version at: http://morzech.myzen.co.uk/ExtJS/rendering_results.gif)
    I am using Ext JS 4.1.0 (downloaded last night from Sencha website).

Regards
    Michael
    Attached Images

Vote Rating

Looks like the problem is on your webserver/browser configuration. All of the close icons look a little messed up in your screenshots.

Try this online example: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.1...ow/window.html
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Evant

Online example works perfect, thats really odd.
    Any idea what part of webserver/browser configuration could be causing such behaviour?
    I normally dont make any changes to config, apart from some tweaks to enable debugging of PHP code on my local server. I also tend no to install additional browser plugins.

Vote Rating

If it works in the online examples it means it's the webserver. I don't really know what would cause it to serve up the pages in such a state.
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Evant

Just a quick update.
    I have deployed my example on my online server and it works perfectly fine on all browsers I have tried (Chrome/IE/FF/Opera/Safari and stock browser on 2.3.6 Android).
    I've decided to go back to my local server and try to figure out why it wasn’t working in FF (it also looked off in Opera and IE). To my much surprise it works fine on my local server as well!?!
    The only thing that has changed between then and now is that I have installed Sencha SDK tools to deploy my app. Its really strange... Never mind, all works fine now, thanks for blistering fast response and well done for coming up with this framework, seems like a really neat solution.

Regards
    Michael

Vote Rating

Hm, weird. Oh well, glad you got it sorted.
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli

Thread Participants: 1