Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Sottilde will become famous soon enough

Default Ext.app.Application loads views, stores, and models synchronously

Ext.app.Application loads views, stores, and models synchronously

I have recently gone through the (very long) slog of getting SDK Tools to work with my project. I will make another post about that because the SDK Tools are so difficult to use it's honestly comical.

I am trying to get every one of my files to minify into a single app-all.js. I have had luck with doing this manually by hacking together a large requires statement and dumping Ext.Loader.history, but I need a way to do this that will run on my build server - and besides, there's no excuse for not being able to automate this.

One thing I noticed after a lot of time inside JSBuilder is that some of my application's files are being loaded synchronously after Ext.onReady(), which of course breaks JSBuilder because it is not smart enough to wait after that event. JSBuilder will not write this files to the .jsb3 and they will not be included in the build.

As it turns out, the documentation on Ext.app.Application is wrong! It states that using statements like views:[/*views*/], stores:[/*stores*/], etc. in your config is the same as a properly namespaced requires statement. It is obvious by looking through the source that this is not the case, and in fact some (but not all) of the documentation related to this was removed in 4.1. Unfortunately the large text block on the top of Ext.app.Application still references this functionality in 4.1, even though it was removed.

I think this is good functionality and clearly should remain in 4.1. Defining all views, controllers, stores, and models in the main Application object is clean and obviously integrates well with Architect. For now I have monkey-patched Ext.app.Application (talk about obnoxious, having to monkey-patch the very foundation of your app!).

I have put this bug report here because this bug affects Architect in a very fundamental way and must be remedied either on your end or by the main ExtJS team.

In general this has been a very painful build process that could have been made much easier by simple documentation of the SDK, consistent documentation of ExtJS4 (how bad is it when the documentation for Ext.app.Application is wrong?!), and a simple build guide for users of Architect. I would be very happy to write one, if only to save others the headaches I have gone through this week.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Scott -

THanks for the feedback. We're working with the team in charge of SDK tools to clean this up a bit more and make it a much better process. Any contributions you have in the way of step by step guides would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by aconran View Post
    Scott -

THanks for the feedback. We're working with the team in charge of SDK tools to clean this up a bit more and make it a much better process. Any contributions you have in the way of step by step guides would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    As you wish.

https://docs.google.com/a/tixelated....0JzxIRwwk/edit

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Wow! Thoroughly impressed with this!
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Strong View Post
    Wow! Thoroughly impressed with this!
    Thanks! I would be happy to collaborate with someone at Sencha to clean it up and include it somewhere where it might be found by more users.