Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ahulse is on a distinguished road

Default Twitter OAuth

Twitter OAuth

Does anyone know of an Architect 2 twitter OAuth example project?

It would be helpful if I could get some assistance in using twitter signin authentication.

I have the needed key and secret and twitter development app but need to know the best way to deal with the non-json passing of the twitter tokens.
    Aaron Hulse
    usahulse@sillybrandzglobal.com

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    allisterf is on a distinguished road

Default Twitter API v1 has been retired...help...!

Twitter API v1 has been retired...help...!

It seems, according to their website that the v1 twitter api has now been retired as of June 11th. It means that any that have been depending on it in an application are now stuck

So, now we have api 1.1 - but this now requires OAuth authentication to access any of the feeds.

Would it be possible to get some guidance to help those of us that are wondering what we have to do within our sencha architect apps to transition...

Many thanks,
    Allister

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

HI Aaron - did you ever get anywhere with this? Like you, I'm stuck... hopefully you became less stuck and can let me know how...

Thanks,
    Allister

Sencha - Architect Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    jminnick has a spectacular aura about jminnick has a spectacular aura about

Guys, you are not going to be able to tackle the oauth issue with client side alone. The following resources should get you moving in the right direction.

https://dev.twitter.com/docs/auth/application-only-auth

http://wickedlysmart.com/twitternews-oauth/
    Jason Minnick
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Hi there Jason.

In fact I just had an email back from Daniel Gallo from Sencha here in the UK, who's realised that his Twitter App (which is one of the really good apps that has been set out in on a screen cast for Sencha users and teaches good architect development) doesn't actually work anymore!

As I said to him, it would seem that Twitter is too big a player in the app world for there not to be a good, standard Sencha approach to connecting with it. He was planning to rework his app to try and solve the OAuth challenge for Sencha, but I'm sure he'd appreciate help if you can give it.

Allister

Sencha - Sales Team daniel.gallo's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    daniel.gallo will become famous soon enough

Hi Allister,

I've had a bit of time to do some reading on OAuth authentication with Twitter, and I'm sharing below what I've found out so far...

It appears there are two ways of authenticating with the Twitter API using OAuth - either using Application authentication or User authentication:

- Application authentication would allow you to hard code the authentication details in a server-side app and your server app would make requests to Twitter on behalf of the app, without the context of a specific user, and then you could render the returned data as JSON to the client side if needed.

- User authentication would still require the server-side app to make requests to Twitter on your behalf, but you would be redirected to Twitter as part of the process to authenticate yourself and grant the app permission to use your Twitter User context to make requests using your Twitter account.

If you just wanted to return some basic JSON data from Twitter (such as a particular user's timeline, or Tweets that match a particular search query) then Application authentication should suffice. You would however need to use User authentication if you wanted to post a Tweet on behalf of a user.

Due to Twitter disabling the v1.0 API, and now requiring OAuth authentication to use the API, you would need to have a web service in place on your server, and this web service would act as a proxy between your front-end Sencha app and the Twitter API service. This web service would also contain your tokens/keys (you wouldn't want that info kept in JavaScript files as it's private stuff).

The example below shows how you can implement Application authentication in a .NET web app. This small .NET app contains one page that will make requests to Twitter and pass back the JSON response, so Twitter data can be shown in a Sencha-based app.

I'm in no way an expert on OAuth authentication - this is just something I've tested, and it works, so I'm sharing for others that are interested! Most of the code below is based on an example I found here: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...tion-using-Net, and I've tweaked this to do a GET request instead of a POST request. The same example could be ported to other languages and I've included details of the HTTP requests made by .NET to give you an idea of the format of the requests being sent, so this should be easily portable to other server-side languages like PHP etc.

First, you need to create a new application on the Twitter Developers site (https://dev.twitter.com/apps), followed by creating an Access Token. This will create some tokens and keys that you'll need for authenticating the .NET app with Twitter so it can issue requests to the Twitter API.

Then, create a new .NET web app inside of Visual Studio (I'm using the free version of Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web). In the example below I'm using a Generic Handler file (called "TwitterFeed.ashx") that will contain the following code. As the keys and token values are supposed to be kept secret/private I have replaced them with sample values:

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.IO;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Security.Cryptography;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Web;

namespace OAuthFormDemo
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// Makes GET requests to the Twitter API using Application Authentication
        /// </summary>
        public class TwitterFeed : IHttpHandler
        {

public void ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
            {
                // Based in part on the following example: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/247336/Twitter-OAuth-authentication-using-Net
                // Tweaked to illustrate a GET request (instead of POST).
                // Demonstrates application authentication with an existing Application oAuth Token (via Twitter Developer Portal).

string oAuthAccessToken = "819797-Jxq8aYUDRmykzVKrgoLhXSq67TEa5ruc4GJC2rWimw";
                string oAuthAccessTokenSecret = "J6zix3FfA9LofH0awS24M3HcBYXO5nI1iYe8EfBA";
                string oAuthConsumerKey = "GDdmIQH6jhtmLUypg82g";
                string oAuthConsumerSecret = "MCD8BKwGdgPHvAuvgvz4EQpqDAtx89grbuNMRd7Eh98";

string oAuthVersion = "1.0";
                string oAuthSignatureMethod = "HMAC-SHA1";
                string oAuthNonce = Convert.ToBase64String(new ASCIIEncoding().GetBytes(DateTime.Now.Ticks.ToString()));
                TimeSpan timeSpan = DateTime.UtcNow - new DateTime(1970, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, DateTimeKind.Utc);
                string oAuthTimeStamp = Convert.ToInt64(timeSpan.TotalSeconds).ToString();
                string resourceUrl = "https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json";
                string screenName = "sencha";
                string baseFormat = "oauth_consumer_key={0}&oauth_nonce={1}&oauth_signature_method={2}" +
                    "&oauth_timestamp={3}&oauth_token={4}&oauth_version={5}&screen_name={6}";

string baseString = string.Format(baseFormat,
                                            oAuthConsumerKey,
                                            oAuthNonce,
                                            oAuthSignatureMethod,
                                            oAuthTimeStamp,
                                            oAuthAccessToken,
                                            oAuthVersion,
                                            screenName
                                            );

baseString = string.Concat("GET&", Uri.EscapeDataString(resourceUrl),
                             "&", Uri.EscapeDataString(baseString));

string compositeKey = string.Concat(Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthConsumerSecret),
                            "&", Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthAccessTokenSecret));

string oAuthSignature;
                using (HMACSHA1 hasher = new HMACSHA1(ASCIIEncoding.ASCII.GetBytes(compositeKey)))
                {
                    oAuthSignature = Convert.ToBase64String(
                        hasher.ComputeHash(ASCIIEncoding.ASCII.GetBytes(baseString)));
                }

var headerFormat = "OAuth oauth_nonce=\"{0}\", oauth_signature_method=\"{1}\", " +
                       "oauth_timestamp=\"{2}\", oauth_consumer_key=\"{3}\", " +
                       "oauth_token=\"{4}\", oauth_signature=\"{5}\", " +
                       "oauth_version=\"{6}\"";

var authHeader = string.Format(headerFormat,
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthNonce),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthSignatureMethod),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthTimeStamp),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthConsumerKey),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthAccessToken),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthSignature),
                                        Uri.EscapeDataString(oAuthVersion)
                                );

ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;

// Append query string parameters to the URL
                resourceUrl += "?screen_name=" + screenName;

// Create a new HTTP request, and append the Authorization header
                HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(resourceUrl);
                request.Headers.Add("Authorization", authHeader);
                request.Method = "GET";
                request.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded";

// Get the response and read the JSON response data
                WebResponse response = request.GetResponse();
                string responseData = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream()).ReadToEnd();

// Render the JSON response out to the page
                context.Response.ContentType = "application/json";
                context.Response.Write(responseData);
            }

public bool IsReusable
            {
                get
                {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }
    }
    The code above will retrieve data from a user's timeline, and I've specified a "screen_name" of "Sencha", so it's basically going to retrieve recent Tweets from the Sencha timeline.

When we launch "TwitterFeed.ashx" in the browser, I can use a proxy tool (such as Fiddler - http://fiddler2.com/get-fiddler) to analyse the encrypted HTTP requests being sent to Twitter. This is the raw request sent from the .NET app to Twitter (again, I have replaced the secret key and token values in the request header with samples):

Code:
    GET https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json?screen_name=sencha HTTP/1.1
    Authorization: OAuth oauth_nonce="NjM1MDcyNTA1MzE5MDE2NjM4", oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1", oauth_timestamp="1371650132", oauth_consumer_key="GDdmIQH6jhtmLUypg82g", oauth_token="819797-Jxq8aYUDRmykzVKrgoLhXSq67TEa5ruc4GJC2rWimw", oauth_signature="5wt8g%2FiKP9BG2XL%2BwdszM35irhs%3D", oauth_version="1.0"
    Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    Host: api.twitter.com
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    We can see the GET request above, along with the Authorization header and various OAuth parameters. The raw response that comes back is as follows (I've concatenated the JSON data at the end of the response due to its long length):

Code:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    cache-control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0
    content-length: 82320
    content-type: application/json;charset=utf-8
    date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:55:32 GMT
    expires: Tue, 31 Mar 1981 05:00:00 GMT
    last-modified: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:55:32 GMT
    pragma: no-cache
    server: tfe
    set-cookie: lang=en
    set-cookie: guest_id=v1%3A137165013211436301; Domain=.twitter.com; Path=/; Expires=Fri, 19-Jun-2015 13:55:32 UTC
    strict-transport-security: max-age=631138519
    x-access-level: read
    x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
    x-rate-limit-limit: 180
    x-rate-limit-remaining: 179
    x-rate-limit-reset: 1371651032
    x-transaction: b9a4f32d0a9698cc
    x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block

[{"created_at":"Wed Jun 19 00:15:41 +0000 2013","id":347145623784529921,"id_str":"347145623784529921","text":...
    Because I'm doing "Response.Write" in the .NET file above, the JSON response from Twitter is being rendered to the page. This can then be linked to a Sencha application for showing Twitter timeline data.

You will probably find there are various helper libraries out there that will assist in OAuth authentication, but hopefully the detailed example above illustrates how this works at a low level. Certainly, for .NET there's Twitterizer (https://github.com/Twitterizer/Twitterizer), a .NET class library that provides simple APIs to authenticate and retrieve data from Twitter. But as long as you are able to fire off HTTP requests like the above from your own server app with the Authorization header set, there should be no reason why you can't do the same.

Here's a screenshot of how the above example looks in practice:

OAuthTwitter.jpg

When I get some more spare time, I'll see if I can get an example working that shows how to do User authentication.

Hope this helps!
    Daniel Gallo
    Sales Engineer EMEA
    Sencha UK Ltd

Sencha - Architect Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    jminnick has a spectacular aura about jminnick has a spectacular aura about

Nice write-up Daniel!
    Jason Minnick
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Touch Premium Member BostonMerlin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    BostonMerlin has a spectacular aura about BostonMerlin has a spectacular aura about BostonMerlin has a spectacular aura about

Nice, job. Thanks for the write-up. JB
    I love being a dad (5 & 7), flying airplanes (KBED) and writing code (spaghetti).
    BostonMerlin aka John Bond aka JB
    See U @ SenchaCon '13