Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ramkiciti is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Ext JS 4 GC issues?

Unanswered: Ext JS 4 GC issues?

Hi,
    One of my team members researched Ext JS 4.x and says it is very premature to use this product now because it has GC issues and hence severe performance problems. Could you please let me know if it is true and the ext js team is working for an improved version to fix the performance issue. I googled up for Ext JS 4 GC issues and nothing came up.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

I think you need to ask your team member where they got their data.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    I think you need to ask your team member where they got their data.
    He said, he did a Proof of Concept and while running the code, it was very slow attributing to GC. I dont even know how to see GC in browsers rendering Java Scripts. He also claims that it happens with Ext JS 4 examples [showcase]. Has there been any such performance issues known with Ext JS 4 unlike the previous versions [ Ext JS 3.4]. How does one find out the GC activity of the browser if a GC thread runs at all like in a JVM.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

You can't directly observe the garbage collector in any browser I know. You can observe the memory usage in chrome's memory timeline, and you can do heap snapshots in chrome's inspector. Both give an indirect way of observing memory usage over time, which can give an indication of garbage collection activity.

I suspect that the performance issues he's seeing have more to do with DOM interaction than with GC.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    You can't directly observe the garbage collector in any browser I know. You can observe the memory usage in chrome's memory timeline, and you can do heap snapshots in chrome's inspector. Both give an indirect way of observing memory usage over time, which can give an indication of garbage collection activity.

I suspect that the performance issues he's seeing have more to do with DOM interaction than with GC.
    thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate on "DOM interaction with GC". More so, is there any significant performance issues with Ext JS 4 like my teammate claims.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating

I said the performance issues are likely due to DOM interaction instead of GC.

It's the rendering of the content to the page that slows ExtJS apps down, not the execution of javascript code.

I'm not saying ExtJS doesn't have performance issues, but it depends very much on the context of what you're doing whether you find performance acceptable or not.

Thread Participants: 1