Win 7 Ext JS 4.1.3 IE(6-9), FF17
    -->

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    stewardsencha is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Strong View Post
    xtype can be set on all top level components. As userAlias

perhaps we should display this as xtype

I'm betting their are a ton of "I can't do that in Architect" moments where 90% of the time it can be done.

A bunch of things become easier when you understand how each of the frameworks work.
    Ouch. It's a tool for dummies you gotta be smart to use

I ditched my mobile plans when ExtJS proved so time-consuming. I learned I might have been a bit oversold on the "one platform" solution. So now I gotta become one with Touch before I can make use of SA?!

So UserType is just touch talk for xtype! Or maybe you just tossed out an analogy.

I've just got to the point where when I am staring blankly at my extjs code, I start stepping into the framework. I can't do that with SA.

I' here because I want it, I see the value. But I am unable to use it yet. If only you had made something like the old designer, where it was easier to override, then I'd have the confidence to go ahead and learn as I produce.

Also there's no central place for updates. Do we start all over with the docs when we hear they might have something new in them ...

Kind wishes and appreciation for your work.
    -->

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    CaliLuke is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by stewardsencha View Post
    Ouch. It's a tool for dummies you gotta be smart to use
    I appreciate the humor BUT A2 never intended to be a tool for dummies. You need a fair amount of knowledge to do anything serious with it. We will refine it and make it easier to use, more powerful, but we'll never dumb it down.

As for the docs... I'm not sure how to handle your comment. We're adding and improving based on user feedback. Without feedback is really hard to understand what is that we're missing or not explaining clearly. We need to keep pushing hard on the docs side and I guarantee we're working on it, but more than notifying of updates, I really don't know what we can do differently on this side of things. I'm open to suggestions.
    --
    Luca Candela
    twitter: @luckymethod
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mcbl can only hope to improve

Explain things, why so, explain holistically, put examples that runs in seconds.
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    richardsugg is on a distinguished road

I appreciate hearing that you are actively working on the documentation. I nearly cried when I read charlez's comments . This has been my experience exactly. There are lots of examples and documentation, but none seem to fit what I'm looking for, which is a complete example that explains how and why. I see a lot of one-off examples that create a widget stored in a variable, like

Code:
    var chart = Ext.create(...);
    What I'd really like to see are examples that show me how to create a maintainable project with reusable components. For example, I downloaded the SA examples archive and opened the Feed Viewer project. This seems to have a reusable component architecture, but out of the box, the example does not work. The Stores pull their data from a php url. It would have been better if you had it pull from a json url, then include a static json file. I could have deployed this directly to my webroot and seen it work. This would eliminate the need for me to swap all this out myself just to get an example working. Even worse, since the php file generated the data on your end, I really don't even know what the structure of that json should look like...I now have to read the API docs to figure out how tree data should look in order to learn how a tree widget works. Me not happy.

Another example is the configuration of components, stores, and models (as one of the previous commenters has pointed out). It's not clear to me where a file should be required in the requires array, or when it should be in the models/stores/controllers array, especially in app.js. Doesn't that load everything at once? I'd like for things to be loaded if a user clicks on a tab or link that requires it...otherwise they load a ton of data that probably will never look at.

It seems to me that the best way to create a maintainable project (i.e., reusable components), is to create a component, assign an xtype to it, and then use the xtype of your component in the items array, dockedItems array, or something similar in the configuration of another panel. Swapping components out or moving them to another area of the application becomes much easier. But when I see
    Code:
    var chart = Ext.create("Ext.chart.Chart", {...})
    (and I see this a lot in the examples), it makes me sad. Doesn't this lead to one-off sort of component development? It would also be very hard to transfer this sort of example to something that could be replicated in SA. If I'm correct in my thinking (and being new to Sencha, I may well be wrong, so please use this as an opportunity to help me see this better), then a better pattern to follow in your examples would be something like this (I'm not even sure that this is correct):

============================================
    "Create the component in view/MyComponent.js:"
    Code:
    Ext.define("MyApp.view.MyComponent", {
      extend: 'Ext.chart.Chart',
      xtype: 'mycomponentchart',
    }
    "Then instantiate it and add it to your panel in view/MyPanel.js:"
    Code:
    myEventAction: function() {
      var chart = Ext.create('MyApp.view.MyComponent');
      this.add(chart);
    }
    "If you want the component to appear when the panel is displayed, you can add it to the items array:"

Code:
    Ext.define("MyApp.view.ChartPanel", {
      extend: 'Ext.panel.Panel',
      items: [
        {
          xtype: 'mycomponentchart'
        },
      ],
    }
    ============================================

I realize that everyone has their own style, and there are times when you must deviate from "best practices". However, I would much rather start with your idea of how things ought to be done, rather than be given 14 ways of how it could be done, and some ways don't work with other ways, and some of which should really never be done.

Far and away, you have the best widget set with an integrated framework than anything else on the market. The one thing you lack is cohesive documentation. This isn't a rant post, but it really is an effort to learn more about Sencha and help you see where I need help. Thanks very much for listening.
    -->

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    richardsugg is on a distinguished road

Am I on target with my concerns or have I completely missed something? I ask this honestly - learning this isn't optional for me.
    -->

Sencha - Architect Dev Team Phil.Strong's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice Phil.Strong is just really nice

Asking concrete questions will help get better answers.

Please keep in mind that ExtJS and Touch are frameworks and deserve a good bit of practice and study to use. Much in the way you would treat C#/Asp.Net or Java/JSP. Both have IDEs but neither IDE replaces the need to learn the underlying frameworks.

We're doing our best to make a complex framework easier to learn/use. With that said we can never remove the learning curve only improve upon it. More examples and documentation are coming.

Again, If you have specific questions please ask them and either the community or Sencha will do our best to answer them.
    Phil Strong
    @philstrong
    #SenchaArchitect
    Sencha Architect Development Team
    -->