Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    johnnietheblack is on a distinguished road

Default Best authentication approach using Sencha?

Best authentication approach using Sencha?

I'm sure this has to be a fairly common question, but I couldn't find much info on it.

I am building a mobile app that will not have access to any server-side languages (aka, no PHP). It will be deployed in conjunction with PhoneGap, or something similar.

My app will need to authenticate the user against my web server so that the user can access the private info / settings that the webserver has saved for them.

My question is...what is the 'best practice' approach for doing this w/ only javascript? I need to keep the user's password safe, and if using OAuth, I need to keep my consumer secret / key safe as well.

This reallly has to be a common issue...how what approach do you guys usually take?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Save things to a cookie or localstorage.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

That's cool...what about HOW to contact / interact with the server? Do people usually just do a basic auth, or something closer to OAuth protocol , or...?

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnietheblack View Post
    That's cool...what about HOW to contact / interact with the server? Do people usually just do a basic auth, or something closer to OAuth protocol , or...?
    Depends on what you want. I personally think basic auth is too basic (and not secure) and OAuth is too complicated. I just submit a form or do an Ajax request and start a session on the server.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Word...on a tangent...how secure is the Ajax method? I like the simplicity, but always wondered about that. I don't have crazy private info to store, but if I'm sending a password over the wire, then it should probably be a little secure..

Vote Rating

If over SSL and using POST it is very secure. If it is a GET request (reason I would not suggest JSONP if doing cross origin) is that the url is still sent over in plain text and params in a GET request are in the url.

Thread Participants: 1