Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    baquila is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: referencing child element of list item

Answered: referencing child element of list item

Ok, I'm sick that I have to ask this but I can't waste anymore time on it. I have a simple list with an 'itemtap' listener. Within each list item I have a hidden div element that I want to show when the list item is clicked. Baby stuff. But I can't figure out how to reference the element within the list item....

The itemtap function is simply:

Code:
    function(list, index, element, event) {
            .....do stuff here
    }
    So if each list item is:

Code:
    <li>
        <h3>Tom Hanks</h3>
        <div class="hiddenDiv">you can't see this</div>
    </li>
    What is the proper way to access that div.hiddenDiv within the itemtap function and show it? I tried things like:

Ext.DomQuery.select('element.hiddenDiv').show()
    Ext.DomQuery.select('element>.hiddenDiv').show()

...and about a million other things. Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'm just sick of wasting time on this. Thanks so much!

2. Got it! Good grief!!!!

element.down('.hiddenDiv').setStyle({'display':'block'});

I'm not even going to ask how to determine if it's visible and then hide it again. Where's jQuery's toggle() when you need it???

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Ok, so I managed to get a reference to the hidden element (class name is 'hiddenDiv') by using:

element.down('.hiddenDiv')

...within the itemtap function. I used console.log to verify that it was the correct dom element. But I still can't get it to show.

I've tried:

element.down('.hiddenDiv').show()
    element.down('.hiddenDiv').setVisibilityMode({Visibility: 1});

...when I used getVisibilityMode() on the element, the setVisibilityMode() was working properly and returning anything I set, and yet the element still remains hidden. By the way, I initially hid the element with your basic display:none in my CSS file.

So I'm just baffled as to how I can get this element to show. Thankfully I've only wasted an entire afternoon on something that should be the most basic showing/hiding a DOM element imaginable. I'm just baffled.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Got it! Good grief!!!!

element.down('.hiddenDiv').setStyle({'display':'block'});

I'm not even going to ask how to determine if it's visible and then hide it again. Where's jQuery's toggle() when you need it???

Touch Premium Member Philip Murphy's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Philip Murphy is on a distinguished road

I think that this is a bug. It appears crazy to me that the 'setVisible' or 'show' methods don't work here. I just spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out why my element wouldn't show. BTW, I also had set the class's display to none in the associated CSS file. So, Sencha Touch doesn't appear to be able to re-show elements if they were hidden initially via CSS. Thanks for posting this solution as you really saved me from going nuts.

Would be nice if a Sencha employee could comment on this.

Thread Participants: 1