Ext User
    Vote Rating
    samsmits is on a distinguished road

Default splitbar issues with IE (ex. /forum2)

splitbar issues with IE (ex. /forum2)

Hi Jack,

Just wanted to let you know - if you aren't aware of - an issue with especially the horiz splitbar using IE 6.0.2800.###. Initially, on first render, the horizontal splitbar functions correctly. Yet, after the first resize, IE 6 does not allow you to resize it again. An example of this issue is demonstrated with your /forum2 .
    I've also run into issues with the vertical splitter. This issue is also demonstrated on the /forum2 .. basically the problem is with the option to drag not being visible under the block div after the first resize (to see this in action, resize your vertical splitbar in /forum2, then point your mouse towards the bottom of the vert. splitbar, and you'll notice the function is only available higher up).

If you have a fix in process, let me know, as I'm digging through the code trying to figure this out!
    Thanks!
    Sam

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

It's not the splitter, it's my implementation code. There's just too much tangled javascript resizing everywhere to keep track of it all. Also I used strict mode and IE6 in strict mode is about as reliable as Windows 95.

Watch my blog over the next day or so (maybe tonight, if I finish the examples) for an entirely new layout engine that squashes all these problems by making splitter implementation and layout code reusable.

I have tested this new code on IE6 and it works flawlessly, even with nested layouts and splitters.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    jarrod is on a distinguished road

Just started trying out the extensions, great work there Jack!

Meanwhile, also encountered similar problems using the vertical splitter as well.

Btw, I think it is important for the splitters to limit their movement to the client width and height. For example, currently, you can drag the splitter beyond the browser window's edges - and in extreme cases, you can't get it back when it goes beyond the available client area.

Also, it will be great if the splitters could dynamically recompute their position whenever the window resizes (but I guess we could implement these ourselves in the 'resize' handlers).

Other splitter-related notes:

- in the IE6 strict mode splitter3 example, the center panel seems to be padded with ~4 extra pixels on both vertical edges

- again in IE6, if the splitter2 example contains a grid within the center panel, the splitter position has a high tendency of not being updated correctly to follow the right edge of a browser window which is resizing to a smaller width

- although we can now specify min/max size for the resizing element, is it possible to also specify min/max likewise on the other panel that is adjacent to it? e.g. will be useful to specify only min values for each panel, such that the panels share whatever space is available while maintaining individual minimum sizes.

Vote Rating

The problem isn't with the splitter component. The splitter only resizes the attached element, what happens beyond that depends on how it is implemented.

For example, in /forum2, the problem is caused because of this hideous code:
    Code:
    document.body.style.width = (document.body.offsetWidth-1) +'px';
    setTimeout(function(){document.body.style.width = '';Forum.autoSize();},10);
    That code makes IE repaint the window. However, the grid is attached internally to the window's resize event so the two are conflicting and end up out of whack sometimes. Most often in IE6.

Btw, I think it is important for the splitters to limit their movement to the client width and height. For example, currently, you can drag the splitter beyond the browser window's edges - and in extreme cases, you can't get it back when it goes beyond the available client area.

There are many instances where that's not desirable. For example, in the grid column splitters you need to be able to drag as far as you want since it is in a container element with overflow:auto. However, I can probably add this logic as a setting, let me look into it. If you really need this behavior in the meantime, attach to the windows resize event and update the min/max values.

in the IE6 strict mode splitter3 example, the center panel seems to be padded with ~4 extra pixels on both vertical edges
    This is a common IE6 floating + auto width bug. I am doing nothing but floating the elements left and right, they are not positioned at all. Most people use CSS hacks with relative positioning to overcome this IE6 bug.

again in IE6, if the splitter2 example contains a grid within the center panel, the splitter position has a high tendency of not being updated correctly to follow the right edge of a browser window which is resizing to a smaller width

Set overflow:hidden on the grid container element.

although we can now specify min/max size for the resizing element, is it possible to also specify min/max likewise on the other panel that is adjacent to it? e.g. will be useful to specify only min values for each panel, such that the panels share whatever space is available while maintaining individual minimum sizes.

There are events which make it possible to do this in a couple lines of code. To actually limit the drag region you'd have to extend the splitter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The splitter doesn't correct CSS layout issues. It only resizes the specified element. It's up to the person using it to make sure everything else adjusts according to that element's new dimensions.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thanks very much for your reply... very helpful indeed.

Meanwhile, interestingly, the "overflow:hidden" didn't resolve the issue until I updated to 0.32.3.1 (from 0.32.3).
    It works almost flawlessly now, failing only occasionally when reducing the browser window width very quickly.

Vote Rating

When the browser window resizes quickly in IE it causes IE to swallow resize events. The solution I am using for this in the new layout code is using a YAHOO.ext.util.DelayedTask and delaying the resize by x milliseconds. This seems to correct the issue and makes it work similar to firefox and other browsers that don't continuously fire the resize event.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Yeap, tried your new layout code and the delayed resizing works like a charm!
    Looks and behaves the same both in IE and Firefox.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    manacle is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up One soulution for fixing the split bar doesn't work

One soulution for fixing the split bar doesn't work

I found the problem with splitbar doesn't work in IE6 (but ok in IE7) like you guy
    I found that if there is below html tag (default form .net)
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

It'll stop splitbar so try to remove it..
    hope it can help
    --Jack