You found a bug! We've classified it as DSGNR-1948 . We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Vote Rating
    thesilentman is on a distinguished road

Default Controller action code does not get saved (restart of SA fixes it.)

Controller action code does not get saved (restart of SA fixes it.)

REQUIRED INFORMATION

Architect Build tested:
    • Build: 442

Project Type:
    • ExtJS 4.1

Description:
    • After having worked some hours with SA, I noticed that changes that I was making to controller actions, were not functioning in the browser.
      Of course, since the changes were not saved, the deployment task was also not copying the files over....
      A restart of SA fixed this. Luckily I copied the changes to my editor, and reinserted them after the restart.

Steps to reproduce the problem:
    • Sorry, really, I wouldn't know... it just happened :P

The result that was expected:
    • Changes in Controller actions code should be written to disk

The result that occurs instead:
    • code is not written to disk

HELPFUL INFORMATION

Screenshot, Project, or Video:
    • not attached

Possible fix:
    • not provided

Operating System:
    • Vista 64 Ultimate

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

Hmm, that's not good! Unfortunately without any way to reproduce this is going to be difficult to track down. Please let us know if you encounter this again and can provide any more information on how to trigger it. We'll keep an eye out for it as well of course.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Vote Rating

Hello Jason,

yes, unfortunately I've been using architect only for a few days and this happened during a lot of testing/changing/redesigning, so unfortunately I wasn't focused on what exactly I did that triggered this misbehavior.
    However I posted it so you are aware and so that others are warned / may add what triggers this.

If it happens again I'll try to replay the steps that triggers this, so we have a test case.

BTW, Where can I post some Feature requests? In the Help & Discussion Forum?

Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by thesilentman View Post
    BTW, Where can I post some Feature requests? In the Help & Discussion Forum?
    Yes that's the best place.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    CasualNetworks is on a distinguished road

I have ran into this issue before too. (Windows 7 x64) Build 442

My workaround has been to:
    1.) Change a existing Controller > Basic Function code.
    2.) Save
    3.) Deploy (You can see here in the deploy notes that 0 files were copied)
    4.) Notice that page is not updated
    5.) Include an extra/dummy "view" to the controller that is not deploying.
    6.) Save
    7.) Deploy
    (Repeat as needed)
    8.) Remove extra/dummy view
    9.) Save
    10.) Deploy

What happens before #1... not sure what triggers the break. Restarting Sencha Arcitect does fix the issue, as well as view trick.

Observations
    -- This happens more often when I am making very small changes
    -- Usually fast Save(CTRL+S) + (click ok) + Deploy(F5) + (click ok) <-- fix this clicking breaks my workflow... lol
    -- All our Sencha Architect Ext JS apps have remote data (model/stores).

I would estimate that the code which is checking for a state change is not capturing the change, you may have race conditions on the diff check/save/deploy.

No visibility/console output to provide insight...

Vote Rating

Thanks for confirming this. It hasn't happened to me again, yet .
    As for the 'clicking' thingy, I have opened 2 Feature Requests for workflow optimization here:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...with-countdown
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...ct-on-Keyboard

Vote Rating

Thanks @CasualNetworks for the info. I still haven't reproduced it but your observations might be enough to steer us in the right direction at least, so I've opened a ticket linked to this thread so that it doesn't get lost.

Anyone, if you have more observations on how to reproduce this, please add them to this thread. Thanks!
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    tsprings is on a distinguished road

Default Same Problem

Same Problem

I'm experiencing the same issue, however a restart of Architect does not fix the issue.

My issues (assuming they're related):
    • Controller action code is not being saved correctly
    • Creating a new controller and dragging an existing action to the new controller doesn't help. The code appears to be saving, but the actions aren't ever run when fired.
      • Probably related, when I drag an action between existing controllers, the code reverts if I've had that action in the controller previously.
    This is likely a feature request, but could you please make Architect save EVERYTHING when I do a save? I'd gladly accept the slight performance hit for correct output.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by tsprings View Post
    [*]Creating a new controller and dragging an existing action to the new controller doesn't help. The code appears to be saving, but the actions aren't ever run when fired.
    What controlQuery are you using? Are you sure it will match?

Quote Originally Posted by tsprings View Post
    [*]Probably related, when I drag an action between existing controllers, the code reverts if I've had that action in the controller previously.
    Please explain in more depth.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    tsprings is on a distinguished road

Default More Info

More Info

Thanks for the quick response aconran - seems like you're always on the ball.

I wrote wrong, when I said controller action, I should've said application action.

As for the controllers... In my frustration with things not saving, I've tried creating new controllers and/or dragging application actions between old (working) controllers. I've moved things around a bit trying to get something to work I can get code to work if I drag into an older working controller, but logically it doesn't make sense to have it there - hence the moving around to try and get my program to both work, and be logical.

In this process of moving application actions around between controllers, if I'd had it there previously, the action reverts to whatever the previous definition of the action was in that controller - even if I'd modified the action. The expected behavior would be if I had edited an action and then dragged it to another controller, the code of that edited action would go along with the move.

I did a little poking around in my metadata folder and can see that though I've created a new controller it isn't being added to my Application file - even though the controller exists in the metadata controllers folder.