Success! Looks like we've fixed this one. According to our records the fix was applied for TOUCH-2988 in a recent build.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Möhre will become famous soon enough

Sencha has no time to reply cause they have the next big construction area ahead (Windows 8).

Doesn´t matter if a thread like this has (almost) 10.000 views.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    erchan_2000 is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but I'm not having any issues with ST 2.1rc2 with Android 4.0.4 on my Droid Razr.

In fact, it's smooth and fast.

However, same cannot be said about Droid Razr with Android 2.3. It's just damn slow. But that's got more to do with Android than anything. Clearly, it was a software architecture issue, and not a CPU power issue.

I'm not dismissing the fact that many people reported speed decrease from ST1, but I didn't fact ST2.1 to be as bad as people claim.

From my experience, the same HTML5/JS/CSS3 code I used on my iPhone4 iOS6, my Droid Raze with Android 4.0.4 runs faster.

This is also without all the optimization in place (I'm using sencha-touch-all.js and my minimized javascript files with Cordova 2.1.0 for iOS and Android)

Vote Rating
    hotdp will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by erchan_2000 View Post
    I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but I'm not having any issues with ST 2.1rc2 with Android 4.0.4 on my Droid Razr.

In fact, it's smooth and fast.

However, same cannot be said about Droid Razr with Android 2.3. It's just damn slow. But that's got more to do with Android than anything. Clearly, it was a software architecture issue, and not a CPU power issue.

I'm not dismissing the fact that many people reported speed decrease from ST1, but I didn't fact ST2.1 to be as bad as people claim.

From my experience, the same HTML5/JS/CSS3 code I used on my iPhone4 iOS6, my Droid Raze with Android 4.0.4 runs faster.

This is also without all the optimization in place (I'm using sencha-touch-all.js and my minimized javascript files with Cordova 2.1.0 for iOS and Android)
    Hi and thank you for the fuel
    Sure there are high-end Android devices where 2.1RC2 works fine. We have them too! And if your need is to have your application working on a Droid Razr with 4.0.4 and you like the performance you see, then everything is fine (for you).

My problem and maybe many others are that we have to support "all" Android devices. Some brands have a better implementation than others, so its diffidently not only hardware. If you have a chance, you should try a HTC high-end device. Like HTC One X and you will see shutter and lags (Its as powerfull a phone as Samsung Galaxy S3) and this is not present on ST1.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    PaulyQ is on a distinguished road

Default Client here - can we save a ST2 app with this terrible scrolling?

Client here - can we save a ST2 app with this terrible scrolling?

Quote Originally Posted by profunctional View Post
    Well that's just it. Our company is looking bad. We try to explain that it was the framework we built upon causing the issues. But ultimately it is our fault for choosing the framework. I'm just looking for an official answer for Sencha on this.

If you guys remember, anyone that built an ST1 app was left in the dust. No more updates and very little support with migration. We actually paid for the support. If ST2 is such a bad performer, I just don't wnwant them abandoning it again for an ST3 or something.
    Hi there - I'm one of those clients who hired a development company that used ST2 to make a cross-platform app. It works fine on iPhone, but is ragged/jagged/basically unusable on most Android devices.

Bit out of place here as I'm not a mobile developer. Just someone sharing the same frustrations from a more end user perspective.

It looks from the recent comments here like ST2.1 won't fix this problem, no matter the green "IT'S FIXED" message on top of the page. Right now, we're being left with a fully developed useless app, and a likely disagreement with our developers who are insisting this is as good as it will get. Is there anything we can do? Can an app developed in ST2 be moved onto some other development platform where scrolling list will work?

Grateful for any leads.

Ext JS Premium Member Steffen Hiller's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking about building a custom List component that extends Ext.dataview.DataView and adds grouping support.
    I'd do it differently than before the infinite list was introduced to easily allow groups with no items (e.g. grouping by date and displaying date headers even if group has no item) and probably won't add support for pinHeaders.
    I hope that this component will have better scrolling performance than the current infinite list with grouping enabled.

Just wanted to share that in order to see if anybody here has done something similar.
    So please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steffen

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    olouvignes is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Hiller View Post
    I'm thinking about building a custom List component that extends Ext.dataview.DataView and adds grouping support.
    You should check out the work from Joe Hewitt : https://github.com/joehewitt/scrollability
    Performance was great as I remember (just head to www.scrollability.com).
    You just have to implement groupable headers... hum ;-)...

Vote Rating
    hotdp will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Hiller View Post
    I'd do it differently than before the infinite list was introduced to easily allow groups with no items (e.g. grouping by date and displaying date headers even if group has no item) and probably won't add support for pinHeaders.
    I hope that this component will have better scrolling performance than the current infinite list with grouping enabled.

Just wanted to share that in order to see if anybody here has done something similar.
    So please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steffen
    Hi,
    Sounds like a great plan, would you share your result?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Bunchofstring will become famous soon enough

Like many others here, I can't justify updating to 2.1 if there's going to be a list scrolling performance issue on Android. I see commentary about the betas and RCs, but has anyone confirmed if this is still an issue with the recent GA release?

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    olegtaranenko is on a distinguished road

Yes, still it is. Sencha has a problems with scrolling of ever not long list, because of its 'infinity' mode. To me more annoying is that it has hiccups (small delays) during scrolling.
    Build: ST2.1 + phonegap 2.2 @ iOS 6.0.1 + XCode 4.5.2
    XCode monitor show 100% (or ever more CPU usage by scrolling. May be this follow to hiccup. Anyway it looks half-baked. I think hardware on Android is pretty weaker than 4S, therefore scrolling @ Android is ever worse

Cheers, Oleg

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about

Default My 2 cents...

My 2 cents...

On hardware that's up to date and has a recent Android version it's behaving fine. My Nexus Galaxy was just updated to V4.2 and my (subjective) impression is that list scrolling is quite smooth, much better then with the previous V4.1. Of course this may also depend on the app / type of list complexity, etc. But for my apps it's doin good.

Of course that doesn't help with older (legacy) devices. On a HTC Desire with V2.2.n my apps are working, but a lot of interruptions in scrolling, time lags, etc. It doesn't really make me happy, but still I would consider it as usable.

We all live in a very fast moving world and these old legacy devices will soon be gone (most of them). So I'm not sure if this is really such a big problem. In a perfect world Sencha would fix all these problems. But this world is far from being perfect. So I prefer Sencha focusing on the future, have a better native packager, have the SDK work on WinPhone8 compatibility and so on. And in one years time most of the problems we are talking about today will be gone.