Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    imardadon is on a distinguished road

Default Memory build up when refresh same page

Memory build up when refresh same page

I got a asp.net project with Extjs4.1, and found got memory leak problem and drive me crazy. To narrow down the problem, I update one of my page to as below

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Administration.aspx.cs" Inherits="Web.Administration" %>
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache" />
    <meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache" />
    <script type="text/javascript" src="../Js4/ext-all-debug-w-comments.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div>Leak Test</div>
    </body>
    </html>

So basically nothing but the core Extjs file, after run the project and open in IE9, the initial memory usage is 44M, then I just keep refresh the page, I found memory usage just build up every time.

Interesting thing is if I remove <!DOCTYPE html>, it 's fine. If use any other definition, rather than html5, same issue.

But change back to extjs 3.x core js file, it's fine. Even tried to use non-debug version of extjs 4.1, same issue.

Any ideals, really appreciate for any help.

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

You tried other browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome, IE10 even (in Windows 8 preview)?

Sounds like an IE9 bug to me, rather than anything specific to Ext.
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    imardadon is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much, Westy.

I reckon you are right, this morning I test all the browser again, I found

FF Chrome IE9
    103M 40M 64M first load
    110 56 86 1st refresh page
    109 64 105 2nd
    110 78 125 3rd
    108 81 145 4th
    109 90 165 5th
    109 77 185 6th
    111 73 205 7th
    111 70 225 8th
    111 68 245 9th
    111 67 265 10th

FF seems very stable, Chrome start drop from 6th refresh, IE9 just stable of build up memory, leak king. By turn IE browser mode to IE7, IE8, IE9 Compat View, no problem. So IE9 is the only browser got problem.

But one thing it could not explain is if I use Extjs 3.1.1 version, no problem at all include IE9. So it could be ASP.NET + Extjs 4.1 + IE9 = cause memory leak!

If I take it out of .net, just HTML + Extjs 4.1 + IE9, it is fine.

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, after I posted my reply it dawned on me that was odd that didn't happen with Ext 3.1.

Not sure what to suggest really.
    Personally I'm fed up with having to deal with IE in all its forms, but sadly not really a lot we can do about it. It's what big corps tend to use, or people who don't know or care about their browser. Sadly that amounts to a lot of people...

I think you'll probably find that the memory is being marked as freeable, but it's not being reclaimed by the browser.
    Perhaps try on a machine with less memory so that the memory management is more aggressive?
    Have you got access to IE10 yet, might be worth a try?

Sorry haven't got a silver bullet...
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    masood is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem with Ext 4 on IE 9 and asp.net mvc.

I am in the middle of porting our single page application from Ext 3.4 to 4.2. I have both sites running side by side ( on different urls) and I can confirm that the leak is not happening on Ext 3.4 (or at least it is not as bad as 4.2). I can easily hit 200M with 6 refreshes on IE9.

Did you find a solution? The doc tags did not make a difference for me.

Thread Participants: 2