Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    shanlin is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: displaying application version

Unanswered: displaying application version

If I like to display our company's application version number in the app, what is the best way to go about it?

In Java, people can have a Version class which can read an entry(implementation-version) in manifest file, or through some other means. In ST20, we only have a concept of cache manifest. Does ST have any API to deal with that? What would be the suggested way to go about it?

Many thanks!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    shanlin is on a distinguished road

I realized that one can set version in app.json or package.json. Is there API can get to either of these objects?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of a way to do this automatically from the packager.json or app.json (there is no version config in app.json). I would think you would have to do this in JavaScript to set the version somewhere where you can get it easily.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

I wish there was some built-in support for this, as it's very helpful to have something to tell if the user isn't getting the current version due to ST or browser problems.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    I wish there was some built-in support for this, as it's very helpful to have something to tell if the user isn't getting the current version due to ST or browser problems.
    It wouldn't be hard to include a version variable in your code and display/access it.

But, I understand why you think it should be included, or at least mentioned somewhere.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

No, it's not hard. You just have to keep track of it and update it by hand each time. There's already a great deal of automation involved in the build process. I'd settle for just being able to easily work with the same version that goes in the manifest.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    nick.randazzo@siemens.com is on a distinguished road

Did this topic die here? We're trying to standardize our apps to have a quick/easy way to display version info about the app (like an "About" page) and would like to rely on automated version info rather than manually maintained info. Any leads anyone? Thanks.

Vote Rating
    chrisp_ocs is on a distinguished road

Question

Another thread resurrection

Some way of automating version numbering would be absolutely fantastic. I'm looking to tie our web-app and native-app builds into our continuous integration server (Jenkins). Software for other platforms automatically gets their version numbers set by values configured in the build process.

For example, for our other projects we'll have a default major and minor version specified for our builds. Each build then automatically sets the remaining parts of the version number to the Jenkins build number and SVN revision. So, a full version number looks like <major>.<minor>.<buildnumber>.<svnrevision>

Is there some way to write a hook that runs during the build process (within Cmd or Architect) which could update a variable within a js file to set the version number before the build takes place? Jenkins makes the auto-generated version available via an environment variable, so any hook would need access to that.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Chris

Vote Rating
    chrisp_ocs is on a distinguished road

Hmm -- this looks promising:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...l=1#post940466

Didn't realise that ant could even update the file via a regex itself!

Now, I need to find somewhere in build-impl.xml that would be a suitable place to perform the version update....

Cheers,
    Chris