Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Default Official Open Src License Thread (Commercial License Part 2)

Official Open Src License Thread (Commercial License Part 2)

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for the delay on my response to your questions. This has been a very difficult decision for me because there are a lot of things to consider. On one hand, I love the community building around Ext and I have to love the work else I wouldn't be doing it day in/day out. On the flipside I have a family to support, 2 kids and with another due in early May. Savings can only last so long, and I am nearing that point. So I have to make a decision, and that is what the other thread (http://www.yui-ext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2676) was for.

I do believe Ext could go to a commercial license and I'm sure plenty of people would buy licenses, and in the end there could be financial relief in that direction. If financial reward was what I was after, this would be a much easier decision.

I want this to work for everyone, so here is what I came up with.

- Ext continues to be open source, with a LGPL license. This allows for continued use in open source projects and free usage for everyone who wants use it (even commercial).

- For those companies that do need/want a commercial license, I will add an optional CDL license similar to the one offered by FCKEditor (http://www.fckeditor.net/license/commercial). The pricing will be similar. A CDL license will include 1/yr support.

- Introduce Ext Premium - $399/yr personal email support, premium support forum, priority bug fixes and SVN access (new up-to-date, organized SVN)

-Introduce a new method of sponsoring features. Input on this is appreciated. You are the people using it, what structure would enable you to sponsor new features?

- An enterprise support option. I will have more details on this soon. PortraitPainter was nice enough to volunteer to help guide me on getting this set up.

I understand everyone can't contribute financially. That's ok. There's other ways you can contribute. Take the Wiki, tutorials and examples. This is an area where I can use help. Robert Graff (rgraff) is putting together a team to help with it, please send him a PM and join. You can also just write something up and email it to me.

Best Regards to everyone and thank you for all your help in making such an important, and very difficult decision.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    mmcmahon is on a distinguished road

Sounds great Jack. It may sound odd, but if you could have a feature where we could generate a quote and voluntarily bump up the price (price + donation), I think a number of us would willingly get a P.O./cheque to you in excess of that $399 price as circumstances allow. I think the valuation would be somewhat variable in that way (above the $399 price of course), but I would have to be able to present a quote without the word 'donationl' on it. I wouldn't mind an additional "fair-pay" option for a quality product like yours.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    PuritysDisciple is on a distinguished road

Jack strikes again! Great news Jack!

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

mmcmahon, the current PayPal button now allows you to input any price and specifically avoids the word "Donation" for that reason. I can also send an "official" invoice if that makes it easier to get approved.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rmesser is on a distinguished road

Sounds good Jack, I think you'll get a lot of takers both for the support deals and for other non-monetary contributions. In a prior post on the other thread I said I'd rather pay $2500 for support for a product with an open source license instead of $1299 for support for a non open source product, so next week when the new Ext comes out I'll put my money where my mouth is and put that through.

As far your question about how people can sponsor features -- I'd say just create a simple "sponsorship estimate request" form that people complete. Then you could reply with an opinion on feasibility and an estimate of how much it would take to create that feature (both in time and sponsorship money). Your time is very valuable and you don't want to get inundated with wacky feature requests, so you might also consider charging people some amount to investigate each request. If they aren't willing to pay then they can submit to the regular "feature request" forum but that would come with no guarantee of a response.

In any event thanks and I'll look forward to the new release.

Ext JS Premium Member griffiti93's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    griffiti93 is on a distinguished road

First class all the way, Jack!

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Herm is on a distinguished road

Extellent...

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    ilazarte is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a winner Jack, congratulations

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dfenwick will become famous soon enough

Excellent news. I appreciate you weighing all the options.

Vote Rating
    MrKurt is on a distinguished road

I've always been a fan of "bounties" for features, and a transparent system that talks about what's being considered. It would need to be moderated, but let users submit feature requests and put "donations" toward them.

I could imagine it working like this: I want a Task panel developed, and I'm willing to pay $300 for it. I'd submit it, go ahead and pay 10% or so up front (to keep me honest), then when it's chosen I'd get invoiced for the rest. If someone else happens to want the same thing, they could add $x of their own to the "bid".

You'd need to set a very clear set of expectations for people paying into this. For instance, bounties should probably be non-refundable if the feature is considered and scheduled for development.

The advantage to you is that I can throw $50 or $60 in on a feature that I don't really want to pay the full cost of development on, and when someone decides to spend $1k to get something built, my money just adds on to theirs. The advantage to me is that I can have some influence on new features without footing the entire bill for most of them.