Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Mike6679 is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Image (Ext.Img) size for Ipad 3 (retina)?

Unanswered: Image (Ext.Img) size for Ipad 3 (retina)?

I have an Sencha app I'm building that basically has a toolbar with icons in it docked to the bottom and a carousel above it with img panels for it's items. My images are all high resolution designed for the ipad3. So for example a carousel item's image size is 2048 width. I'm using Chrome for viewing and debugging my app as I go. I have to zoom out in the Chrome Browser to view my app clearly because my carousel item img's are so large. In my img panel config I specify a width of 2048px. My question is how will this translate on the ipad3 retina display? Will it automatically show it correctly with a width of 1024 with just a better resolution or do I have to specify a width of 1024px in my img panel config?
    I would try this myself but I have not been able to successfully package my app for the ipad yet .....

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

A major concern is file size here also. Such large images sizes will live in memory and force the CPU/GPU to render a lot of data.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Hmmm, you are suggesting that Apple put out the ipad 3 which is designed for high resolution images , but it can't handle them? Also my original question still stands, how do I specify my images in my image panel? --- as 2048 width or 1024? Does the ipad3 automatically size high res images to the correct width?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

OK we were able to get high res images into our Sencha app and onto an ipad3 and have them sized correctly. Problem is now the ipad 3 is choking on the carousel swiping and sliding animations. I need some advice from Sencha: Is this a limitation of the ipad 3 (which doesn't make sense because the ipad 3 is designed for high res images) or is there something I can do in my app to increase performance?

Thread Participants: 1