Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    Thanks, Mitchell. If possible, it'd be good to eventually do:
    Code:
    title:(suggestion1 AND suggestion2)
    title:(suggestion1 OR suggestion2)
    I suggest this because that's the way people will also probably be used to doing it from google (Including me). Might avoid an annoying pitfall.
    Mentioned that to Mike as he is the guy doing most of the server configs (I'm just learning things) and he is going to brainstorm it. There is a couple different ways to do it but want to pick which could be the cleanest and most efficient for our usage. Great idea though! I like titlefoo AND bar) better than title:foo title:bar

I'd suggest adding a smart query for user name (you probably already have it on your list, though).
    We do return the authors in that thread but will need to make it search for that... will look into this.

I also agree that an option for having the search results show up on their own screen would be very good. Don't like being boxed in. Plus it's too easy to click outside the popup and lose all your results you've been working through!
    Think I will take a stab at doing this today.

You might also mention that this search is currently only available on the main forum page:
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/index.php
    Took me a bit to find it. I imagine when you roll it out to all users, you'll have it on every forum page.
    Thought I mentioned that above, guess I got sidetracked. The issue with having it on all the forum pages is when you drill into one where you have threads, there is the button to post a new thread so will have to get with our web design team to see where they would want to move that button, I'd want the search field in the same place everywhere.

Oh, and you could probably pretty easily make "intitle" a synonym for "title" to avoid another annoyance that might trip people up who have google searches hardwired into their brain.
    That should work now actually.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

Makes sense about wanting it in the same place. How about top-left? I notice that's free on all the pages I could find. It'd also be a good place to allow the popup version to take up the maximum amount of vertical space. And searching is one of the primary things users need on the forum, so it'd benefit in being in one of the most noticeable places on the screen.

Only problem I see is that the top line is on the non-forum area of the site, too. So how much of a hassle it is to change might depend on how those templates work.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense about wanting it in the same place. How about top-left? I notice that's free on all the pages I could find. It'd also be a good place to allow the popup version to take up the maximum amount of vertical space. And searching is one of the primary things users need on the forum, so it'd benefit in being in one of the most noticeable places on the screen.

Only problem I see is that the top line is on the non-forum area of the site, too. So how much of a hassle it is to change might depend on how those templates work.
    Agree 100%. Will have to get with the web design team to see where they would want it, not sure if we make search more prevalent and do it full width under the forum title but then the height of the threads and stuff get shifted down. At the top there isn't much room as I have seen people that the width of the middle section is almost 100% the width of their screen.

Oh, searching for the author of the post is actually working, I just need to add a field in the smart query and it will work. It will only accept 1 so author:mitchellsimoens will only look for posts where I am an author in that thread. I can change the name of the field if author isn't good, poster doesn't seem right, like username could work.

Mike and I will be revamping things so the fields are more dynamic based on your feedback. We are going to look at having fields accept the (foo AND bar) type

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

Ok, author is working:

forum title:suggestion author:mitchellsimoens
    The username will have to 100% match so like this won't be the same as above:

forum title:suggestion author:mitch
    Will add a story to do better searching for this, we will be revamping it anyway.

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

So Mitch when you getting this for all my usernames? Having to login to my prem username is killing my productivity...

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by aw1zard2 View Post
    So Mitch when you getting this for all my usernames? Having to login to my prem username is killing my productivity...
    lol, not too worried about your productivity Mr. Howard.

This is day 2 of being open to premium users and with the great feedback so far, just depends how fast we are able to keep up with the requests

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

Can the option checkboxes be made into the multi select list boxes... Please... LOL
    It make more sense using the item selector style saves tons of room too.
    Or even doing the checkbox tree would work also and be nicer looking.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by CasualNetworks View Post
    I would like to have a single top level checkbox that lets me select a product/version, which would then select the multiple forums that has related content.

Example: Ext JS 4 would auto check all the boxes related to Ext JS content

Part 2 of this would be to auto date scope the searches based on product version releases.

Example Ext JS 4.1rc2 would include a date range of all posts/updates since that version was released.
    I haven't forgot about this. The group checkbox is something that can do. The Part 2, there really isn't going to be able to do that as I'm not going to enter in release date for each release. It'd be a nightmare to keep up with for each product and our release procedure isn't that centralized for each product.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

How is this handling partial matches? Like "title:search*" as opposed to "title:search" or "title:searching"? I THINK it's handling it like you'd expect a wildcard to. And if you don't have a wildcard, it assumes "whole word" logic. So searching for "title:searc" finds nothing, because there's no exact match on that.

Another random topic - tag search. I don't use it. Do other people? If so, this should probably support tag search, too, so it can be a full replacement of the existing search. Probably already on your list but I'm just being thorough.

Eventually, it should probably support all the features the current search supports, unless you can show that people just don't use that feature.

Also, how is this going to work for searching within a thread?

Vote Rating

haha, just don't care about yours Like jep and others I do, just not yours... sorry

Stop hijacking this thread!