Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The new query engine isn't public, just usable by myself and Mike for testing. Was just showing what will be coming.

Noted about the default.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

Oops, sorry. I think I saw the part about it being only viewable by you but by the time I typed up the part about the defaults I had the bright idea to check it and make sure you meant OR and not AND.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    Oops, sorry. I think I saw the part about it being only viewable by you but by the time I typed up the part about the defaults I had the bright idea to check it and make sure you meant OR and not AND.
    We are working to get things all cleaned up by tonight so tomorrow some quick testing in the morning and release to you mid morning.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

We are upgrading the query parser to change the OR to AND by default and kind of broke things so we are working on that right now. We are finding things very flexible (when it does work) like I just did a test like:

forum (title:suggest* OR author:mitchell*)

which I think adds some more flexibility and awesomeness. So just stick with us while we get this fixed up and then you can get the new query parser. Btw, the query parser we are using is the dismax parser

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    droessner is a jewel in the rough droessner is a jewel in the rough droessner is a jewel in the rough

The search had not been working for me for the last few days and I just figured out why. The forum url must have been http://forum.sencha.com/forum/ at some point because that's how it was saved in my bookmarks. This url still works. Just noticed that I was getting this error when attempting to search:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://www.sencha.com/forum/misc.php...tart=0&rows=25. Origin http://forum.sencha.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin.

Since the old link still works, it's possible to get to the forums but not being able to search. Obviously I just needed to updated my bookmark to the correct url, but I figured I would share.

Vote Rating

Just a heads up, I'm going to be pushing the updates to Search which may take me a bit. Will post back with the new things once all is finished.

Vote Rating

Ok, things should be all updated! This is quite a lot of rewriting and here are some of the hightlights:

New Query

The query parser is now much more robust and flexible. Things like this are capable now:

title:foo*
    -title:(foo bar*)
    title:(foo OR bar)
    -title:"foo bar"
    +author: mitchell*
    -author: (mike* AND mitchell)

Few things here. The + or - or lack of any are the include/exclude. Obviously if you have + or no symbole in front of the query field it will include the value, if it is - then it will exclude the value. You can use the wildcard * and the value (after the colon) accepts 3 types. It can be a single word, a string surrounded in double-quotes or multiple values within parenthesis. If you have words encased in double-quotes, it will match exactly that string but is case-insensitive. If you have multple values within parenthesis, you can use AND, OR or just list the values as white-spaced values. If there is no AND and OR then it defaults to AND '(foo bar)' === '(foo AND bar)'.

If you specify multiple of the same query field, the terms will be AND. So if you have 'title:foo -title:bar' it will make it search for titles with 'foo' AND without 'bar'. You cannot specify multiple from and to query fields, will talk more about those in a second.

To get a little more advanced and flexible, you can do a query like this:

(title:foo -title:bar)
    (title:foo OR title:bar)

To do date ranges, you can use the from and to query fields. You should only use one of each (one from and one to, not two from) and should be in the Y-m-d (YYYY-mm-dd) format, e.g. '2012-01-01'.

The query parser has been made much more advanced and flexible based on your feedback. Thank you for your feedback, it is what is driving this.

Options Form

Before, when you clicked on 'Options' you were presented with a large form with all the forums with checkboxes. You could check the forums you want to search within but, based on your feedback, the design was terrible. The form has been totally rewritten! This form is now a tab interface one for conditions and one for forums.

The first, and default, tab is for conditions. This is for all the query fields show above. It's easy to use and you can add a condition and also remove them. These will persist only for the one page visit. For the value, you can type all the (foo bar), foo, "foo" in it.

The other tab is for the forums. Instead of checkboxes, you are presented with a vertical list on the left side. At the beginning of each forum title you will see a (add), click on it and that forum will not be searched within and you will see it on the right side now. Once on the right side, you will see a (remove) before the title, that is to return it to the left side and not included in the search. Also notice that the categories have the (add) and (remove) so you can add all forums within a category without clicking on each of the forums. If in your settings you selected to persist the forums, these will persist on page visits, otherwise it will just persist on the one page visit.

Minor Things

You should also notice the matches in the title are now green to show the match. Also, on the page results view, you now have a large field at the top to search with.

Future

Like everything I do, I usually have some plans for the future:
    1. Need to get some headers on the forum options view so you can see which column is available and which is selected. Forgot to do that and remembered while typing this.
    2. In the page results view, you probably see the 'Conditions: (none)', I need to get that and the forums to display in the results. Same for the popup on the forum index. I didn't want to hold up getting this to you all.
    3. RegEx! I need to create a RegEx to parse the query on the front-end so that I can insert the conditions you have typed in the input field within the conditions table in the options. RegEx gives me a headache and to be honest I'm not looking forward to it.
    4. This is a given but want to say it again to emphasize it. Try to implement all your feedback and ideas. Whether you realize it, you are actually driving the ideas on this search now, we are just implementors.
    5. Allow forum adding from within the input field. Example: '#extjs4' will search all Ext JS 4 forums, '#st2' will do all Sencha Touch 2 forums.

Thanks

I'm the one implementing the front-end code but I want to give thanks to Mike Estes on the support team here at Sencha. He has take time out of his day to add/edit features for this in the back-end code.

Think that's pretty much a good overview of what has happened this last week. More to come but keep using it and keep sending feedback here!
    Last edited by mitchellsimoens; 2 Aug 2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added future plan #5

Vote Rating

Thanks for the update, Mitchell. It's looking very good. Still looking for the search options (whether to use a popup or separate window, etc.) to be accessible from the options link. Should also be accessible somewhere on the separate window for results.

Also, you're probably still working on it but it's hard to select those forums in the conditions. Need to be able to click on the full forum name as well as the +. Like I said, sure you're still working on it.

Final suggestion (for now!): Make the forum names on the results page (the one to the right in lighter gray on each result line) clickable. The old search was like this and it was sometimes handy. I'd often use it after searching and not finding what I'm looking for. "Hmmm, none of these bug results look like what I'm looking for. Better enter a new bug. (click on the link to the bug forum on one of the results.)"

Vote Rating

Also, you're probably still working on it but it's hard to select those forums in the conditions. Need to be able to click on the full forum name as well as the +. Like I said, sure you're still working on it.
    Replaced it with (add)/(remove). Think it's a little more friendly to have a link at the front instead of the entire title. Gives you more clicking area.

Final suggestion (for now!): Make the forum names on the results page (the one to the right in lighter gray on each result line) clickable. The old search was like this and it was sometimes handy. I'd often use it after searching and not finding what I'm looking for. "Hmmm, none of these bug results look like what I'm looking for. Better enter a new bug. (click on the link to the bug forum on one of the results.)"
    I think future plan #2 covers this. Will be having all conditions and forums listed on both results views (popup and page). The page view has a placeholder for it just isn't implemented. Will also be a couple pixels smaller text but still of course easily viewable.

Vote Rating

You keep ignoring the bit about having the search options on the options page. Can you at least acknowledge it?