Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    digeridoopoo will become famous soon enough

Default Unanswered: App near completion - final questions

Unanswered: App near completion - final questions

Hi,

I am nearing completion of my app, the more I've learnt and understood the more I've come to love this framework! Not bad for someone who doesn't really know javascript at all and only has a background in web and design!

I do however have a few questions I hope someone can answer to help me get to the end.

(1) My app is responsive once initialised but takes a while to load and still loads a bit once it displays. I know about the minifying and compacting but will it be any quicker if I just have minimal things in the app.js and put the rest in the viewport.js (my main view?). The views all seem to get called either way and don't seem to be loading on the fly. Is that because I should be using Ext.Create if I want to load them on the fly?

(2) As I've been building my app I've added a few custom icons in my index.html as well as a couple of external .css files. I know this is not recommended and I need to re-compile into sass to speed things up. Will the compiler turn my icons into data automatically and minify everything? And should I be putting the .css files in my app.js file instead so that the Sencha compiler can pick them up and minify them all?

(3) I will probably also end up compiling using Phonegap after I've sorted all the above, as my map panel will have to work offline. All the tiles are around 550MB. I am worried how this might slow down the loading (although it will probably just initially load the tiles at that zoom level). Is this something I should be worried about? If I am using Phonegap, should I completely ignore the Sencha way of publishing my app?

Thanks

:-)

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by digeridoopoo View Post
    (1) should be using Ext.Create if I want to load them on the fly?
    Yes it would be beneficial, also destroying your components after finishing with them will help keep the speed up too.
    (2) Will the compiler turn my icons into data automatically and minify everything? And should I be putting the .css files in my app.js file instead so that the Sencha compiler can pick them up and minify them all?
    Compiling will allow you to use base64 images which could be faster, but not significantly. Minifying really just takes out the whitespace and comments to reduce the size of the file. Putting your .css files in your app.js wouldn't make much of a difference.

(3) I will probably also end up compiling using Phonegap after I've sorted all the above, as my map panel will have to work offline. All the tiles are around 550MB. I am worried how this might slow down the loading (although it will probably just initially load the tiles at that zoom level). Is this something I should be worried about? If I am using Phonegap, should I completely ignore the Sencha way of publishing my app?
    As for this, I am not too sure. 550MB [about half a GB] are big files for mobile devices. Yeah it probably will initially load them, but it could take a long time; try testing it on all devices you plan on packaging the app for.

Hopefully others have more insight on this.

Thread Participants: 1