Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    bohboh is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Background image urls vs base64 data uri - phonegap

Unanswered: Background image urls vs base64 data uri - phonegap

I have built a phonegap app in sencha touch 2. it all works ok, but I notice a momentary hang when switching tabs when it loads images/icons.I would have thought it would have been instant since the images are all contained within the app.I load the images as css background images.As a test, i took one of the images and turned it into a base64 encoded string and placed that within the css. No difference.Is this how it is with phonegap apps? or is there a way to make images load instantly? preloading?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

It will take a bit of time for the device to render the images and that depends on how many images and the size of the images. If you have a url, then the device will have to load the image where base64 string it's already downloaded.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

So does that mean that there is no way to eliminate the momentary loading of images? I have them all as background image urls , i also optimised the images using imageoptim.
    When i switched a few of the smaller images to base64 data uri's, i couldnt see any difference.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like in your case no.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

OK, thanks.
    One thing i havent tried is defining images from with the views, for the icons, i set iconCls and set the paths from my css.
    I may investigate ways to speed up the loading of images, at the moment the phonegap app has the feel of a website in the way it loads images which isnt great. The images arent big either, quite small.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    digeridoopoo will become famous soon enough

Default Same problem...

Same problem...

I'm having the same problem....it doesn't look too professional seeing a background image class load in one tab. As there are 3 lists in this tab item that grabs from a store I was thinking if having a loadmask tied to the store....or just having a loadmask set on a timer that is 1 second default for each tab.

Is there another solution?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Sno is on a distinguished road

How are you adding components like panels, and lists to the view port and how are you swapping to an active screen?

I currently run a function at app launch that compiles Ext.Viewport.add(Ext.create('component'));

Than I use Ext.Viewport.setActiveItem(index); to set the screen into view.

So if your Ext.create('component') is rendered as hidden:true, you may have some prevention to the issue.

This is untested.