Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    pentool will become famous soon enough

Default Answered: Why titlebar's title cuts off after 23 chars?

Answered: Why titlebar's title cuts off after 23 chars?

Hello,

This is a very immature post because I think it's so simple, yet I don't know why is this happening. I'm designing for the iPad. Have a titlebar at the top. Plenty of space. The title has 26 characters. Despite there is plenty of space on both left and right sides of the title, it's being cut off at the 23rd character, and instead of the last 3, an ellipses is placed at the end. I don't understand why? I mean, even in the browser, I can stretch out the window all the way to Hollywood, yet the title stuck to display only 23 out of the 26 chars.

The only way I am able to control this if I do
    Code:
    .x-title .x-innerhtml { overflow: visible; }
    But because there's generous space around the title, I don't think I should resort doing this.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. 2.1.0 b2 may have a fix for this also.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Default ANOTHER DARN BROWSER BUG!?

ANOTHER DARN BROWSER BUG!?

After further examination, it seems to be a browser issue AGAIN!!! I don't understand why there are so many differences between the two browsers (chrome and safari) if both are webkit based.

Turns out, yesterday (7/31/2012) I upgraded my chrome browser (windows) to the latest one (v21.0.1180.60). Now I don't know if the previous version was ok or not, but in safari (v5.1.7) the title shows ok. In Chrome, it's being cut off.

The odd thing is, even if I give a titlebar a title, say, "Taxi", it will display "Ta...". The titlebar example page in the docs (http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/api/Ext.TitleBar) displays "Navigati..." in the first example, but in Safari it display ok.

Could someone please verify if this is happening on the windows platform or I'm just going insane.

1. Make sure you are on Windows.
    2. Use Chrome v21.0.1180.60
    3. Visit the docs page at http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/api/Ext.TitleBar

L
    ook at the first example in the docs. Does it display "Navigati..." or "Navigation" in your Chrome browser? Looks ok in Safari, but chrome ALWAYS puts an ellipses at the last 2-3 characters of the title, regardless of length.

Thanks.

(PS: ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!)

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    emprize is on a distinguished road

here you go
    standardization always a pain for html, each browser always has different standard, and thats why they exist, this time might be a problem for chrome itself, but i hope sencha touch team can look in it too
    Attached Images

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Hey thanks for checking! I think the latest Chrome has to do with this because I usually work in Chrome and have not seen the ellipses in the previous version(s).

UPDATE:
    I've tested this issue with the mobile version of Chrome (19.0.1084.60) in iOS 5.1 on the iPad 3 and it cannot be reproduced. So it's only a bug on the desktop version.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

2.1.0 b2 may have a fix for this also.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha - Sencha Touch Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    RossGerbasi will become famous soon enough RossGerbasi will become famous soon enough

Any estimates on when we will see 2.1 release? Just trying to plan in some upgrade time for an application we are releasing.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    2.1.0 b2 may have a fix for this also.
    Thanks, will try this today...

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we don't have any public dates for b2 or GA for 2.1.0
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member BostonMerlin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    BostonMerlin is a jewel in the rough BostonMerlin is a jewel in the rough BostonMerlin is a jewel in the rough

yea, I spent hours yesterday trying to figure out why Chrome was doing this... good to know it's Chrome in general and not my box. Kitchen Sink is all messed up as well on Chrome.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers

Yes, the 2.1.0-b1 fixes this issue.