Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylu98 View Post
    I am talking about nice build-in grid filter bar on grid header like -
    It is a matter of taste.
    I prefer general seach field (same string applied to several columns) or FiltersFeature.

Regards.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    msantoro is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately ... i too have been seriously considering other frameworks — while yes i would agree sencha is amazing and solid when it works — the documentation is absolutely horrible. Most of it is not up to date and misleading and troubleshooting as a result is incredibly painful and practically impossible as a result.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    msantoro is on a distinguished road

I have to say — regardless of how well sencha touch 2 is capable of performing — the documentation is just so terrible. It is confusing, not up to date, and as a result i am left with no other choice but to recommend another framework to my clients — it has been so long now — and yet there are still video tutorials and written documentation that is not even correct at this point. — horrible

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

About documentation, we have hired new technical writers to keep the guides up to date and also the API documentation. We are taking it seriously to get it back to being the best around.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    alien3d is on a distinguished road

Default alternative

alternative

I had make two generator code.. first using extjs 3.3 something and and jquery + twitter boostrap. Both will generated around 1k per form javascript..
    Jquery and twitter boostrap best alternative because of grid only. The most reason data grid.. I'm not sure the latest sencha okay on datagrid more then 500 record.... that's the only my issue changing.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jimi.mx is on a distinguished road

Default Better API Design...

Better API Design...

I really enjoy the concepts of extJS property based programming, but there is an urgent need to have real API designers, the developers need to learn how to create a stable API and stick to it.

The API changes are so chaotic, that even in .x.x releases the code breaks! (between 4.1.1 and 4.1.3 you get breaking changes! WTF!), also, when you create a property based API (like extJS uses with JSON and xtypes), you need to have convention over configuration, which pretty much means that you only override the properties you need to customize, if you leave the rest without definition then it should work out of the box, but here the API has so much inter-dependency between properties, that if set one property and forget to change some other stupid property to "true" or something, then it doesn't work! the API should adapt depending on the properties you define so that it almost always work without worrying that setting a property in the same component will break everything, property changes should just work as expected and according to the name of the property without worrying that changing one property will break the whole UI.

Another thing would be to have actual API freezes on certain versions, because when you have, for example, version 4.1.1, you expect that 4.1.3 would be mostly bug fixes, but no! you get a whole bunch of new functionality and property deprecation, that I've had projects that when just replacing one version to another like 4.0.3 to 4.0.7, the application broke with a zillion issues, instead of just upgrading and taking advantage of bug fixes or just minor improvements in functionality, and leave the really new stuff to another .X release like 4.0 to 4.1

I would strongly recommend the Sencha developers to read this small free book: "The Little Manual of API Design" by Jasmin Blanchette, and even though is more oriented to C++, the concepts are all the same, she's the main responsible of the current API Design that Digia Qt has, and believe me, it's one amazing API to use, so simple and transparent, you wouldn't believe it.

I've been developing apps and libraries for 15 years, of those, 11 years have been on C++ and Java, and I consider myself a medium level Javascript programmer (I've only been programming in it for 3 years and just part-time) but having a good API Design will make Sencha's users and programmers' life so easy, that extJS would be the best Javascript library without a doubt, by just improving the API use.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light ssamayoa is a glorious beacon of light

The API changes are so chaotic, that even in .x.x releases the code breaks! (between 4.1.1 and 4.1.3 you get breaking changes! WTF!)

Sadly truthful.

I hope doesn't happen again in the future...

Regards.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    delebash is on a distinguished road

+20 for the docs, I am new to sencha but this looks like it has been a long standing problem with docs, examples, videos, being incomplete, wrong, or just plain not useful and hard to understand, no explanation of what when why to use functions of api and how they fit together, yes some high level overview but not real detail and not complete examples most api functions just have a short def with no example. Its frustrating to use. I moved away from KendoUI becuase of the poor docs, examples and forum, thinking Sencha has been around so much longer that they shouldn't have these issues. Ughh frustrating, two good frameworks but hard to understand because of lack of good info.

Sencha - Services Team
    Vote Rating
    IvanJouikov is on a distinguished road

I've worked with ExtJS for many years and consider it to have the best documentation in the industry.

If you find a doc bug, just comment on it right in the docs!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by IvanJouikov View Post
    I've worked with ExtJS for many years and consider it to have the best documentation in the industry.
    My son does iOS development and he says that has the worst documentation he ever seen.

He thinks that the best documentation is Java's SDK has, second is Sencha's products.

For newcomers of both (Java and Sencha's proucts) is overwhelm because is a lot of information in a very small space. I used ExtJS for a couple of years now but remember at the beginning that was really hard to process such amount of information.

As any complex framework, newcomers should buy a good book like the ones Jay Garcia has wrote or is writing now.

Can you learn Java only looking at the JavaDoc? Or (when was a cool technology) Flex? Or .NET?

Regards.