Vote Rating
    interfasys is on a distinguished road

Default Forums seems to have been hacked...

Forums seems to have been hacked...

Just a heads up, it seems these forums have been hacked and email addresses are being used as spam targets.
    Olivier - interfaSys
    Developing custom solutions for BlackBerry 10 using Sencha Touch.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Ralph Corderoy is on a distinguished road

Agreed. I registered on the forums in March this year using a unique email address unused for anything else before and since. I used the forum a little around that time but not since. This morning I received my first piece of spam to that unique email address. My forum password isn't obvious, e.g. something like Nr0hWrehM6D, so I expect a bunch of email addresses, and perhaps other things, have been harvested from these forums, either the live system or a backup.

If others who suffer would also confirm then it would help lessen any thoughts of it being a lack of security on the part of the users. I use nothing but Linux and only access email at home without wifi. In the past when this kind of thing has happened to me it has always turned out to be the central forum or web company where the leak occurred.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    danyuen is on a distinguished road

To the Sencha Community,

Over the weekend, a number of our forum users alerted us that they received spam messages sent to email accounts used exclusively for their Sencha Forum user profiles. We're continuing to investigate the issue, but we believe we have identified the mechanism by which some users' names and email addresses may have been captured. We have now fixed this vulnerability. The mechanism responsible leaked first name, last name, email address, and ip address. It is important to note that, based upon our current investigation, we do not believe that any other personally identifiable and private data was exposed.

Please note that, as we say in our privacy policy, we never sell or distribute your personal information. But, as a popular public site, our Forums are subject to attacks by spammers. We apologize for the inconvenience these attacks may cause. Due to your timely reporting, we believe we've discovered and closed out this exposure. Thanks for your continued support and community participation.

Thanks,
    -Sencha

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Ralph Corderoy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for letting us know. It's no inconvenience, what's one spam amongst many :-), but it's good to see it got some consideration instead of the head-in-the-sand approach that has happened elsewhere. Thanks again. Off now to change my forum email address. :-)

Thread Participants: 2