Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Default New example, new build, and disappointment

New example, new build, and disappointment

Most of you are probably familiar with the commercial license thread that went on and ultimately the decision to stay open source - because that is what most of the community encouraged and it felt like the right thing to do. I don't regret that decision, but I must say - I am very disappointed.

After over 2 months of hard work, the new alpha release was made available to everyone and was downloaded over 2000 times. That's pretty amazing for an alpha release!

The part that was disappointing is that there were 0 donations. That's right, absolutely no donations. I understand it's just an alpha release, the documentation and examples are very low quality, and some people may be waiting for support/commercial licenses - but 0 donations?

I am working in 24+ hour shifts to fix the bugs you report, answer your questions and give support to those who need it.

I also created a new toolbar and menu example with code comments - it's not as good as documentation, but hopefully it's a start.

In case you are having trouble finding the donate button, here's a shortcut.

http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1....s/welcome.html

The new build is available here:

http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1.0-alpha2.zip

The menu example is here:

http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/ext-1....enu/menus.html

Most notable bug fixes:
    - Gray/vista theme now have gray menus
    - fix date picker month menu not hiding on mouseout with aero theme
    - fix strange rounding problem with paging toolbar
    - borderlayout slide+expand = disappear corrected. It now pins (as requested) without the anim
    - toolbar and menu cursor+gray text problem fixed
    - random tree issues corrected
    - RowSelectionModel getSelected/getSelections corrected

Edit
    Technically there was one donation yesterday, but it was by someone who is not even using the alpha - he donated for help given in private messages.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    mnugter is on a distinguished road

I have every intention of donating to you, I just didn't get around to it. I promise I'll donate tonight I'll see what I can miss, just heard that I can buy a house so I am a little low on cash as well At minimum I'll donate 50 euro's, I look into it tonight to see if I can make it a 100.

The reason I didn't make my boss donate (yet) is because I want him to purchase the support license (I'll see if I can convince him to take the premium license). He said he will buy the license but wont donate in that case...

Vote Rating

Thank you! I will be around if you need any help.

Ext Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    lorenzo is on a distinguished road

Default Donation

Donation

Hi Jack, I donated few minutes ago...

I really want to thank you for this great library. I hope I can contribute not only by money but even with some work on your project.

I wrote to rgraff giving my disposition to help for Italian translation of documentation. I hope I can help you in this project.

Thanks

Vote Rating

Thank you lorenzo! RGraff is usually around in the evening.

Vote Rating
    dj has a spectacular aura about dj has a spectacular aura about dj has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jack,

Thanks for that new demo - the menus are sweeet

I wanted to wait for the support contracts to get you some money - not really because i would need extra support besides this forum but because "support contract" looks better than "donation" in my accounting.

That said, i just donated a small amount that really doesn't hurt me but maybe makes you a little bit happier until the support contracts are set up.

Vote Rating

Thank you dj. I am working on more examples, documentation, bug fixes and the compat layer. bmoeskau is also helping with code documentation. His code documentation is GREAT (he authored the new Date docs!).

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Bobafart is on a distinguished road

I just bought a house, had a baby, I am not a web developer (I use Ext for fun, I don't create websites for business purposes) AND I just donated.

So if I can donate so can YOU!

Help Jack -- donate to keep Ext running strong...

(Jack with my donation can you build a "fisheye" menu script and post it in the examples section of the new website? purty please? )

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    SteveElbows is on a distinguished road

Hello, Ive been lurking for ages, very impressed by 0.33 etc. After playing with 0.33 I decided to wait for th new version, because I saw your posts about how much has changed, so seemed easier to wait and just learn the new stuff than learn whats changed.

Now the alpha is out but I havent had time to do much with it yet. I always planned to donate when the time felt right, and will probably be using this stuff commercially in the future so expect to give you more funding via that side of things.

Since I was first amazed by your work, I prayed that you would not lose faith & energy, not be bought-off by some huge company and no longer have time to work on yui-ext, not go 100% commercial and closed source or anything like that. Only in the last few weeks did I see various posts from you that indicated these sorts of things are not just me being paranoid, but a possibility. If it happened it would be such a tragedy that the side of me that likes web development might die forever, so I always wanted to do my small part to stop this happening.

What has caught me offguard is the pace of all this, it did not even occur to me that you woulld expect the timing of donations to coincide with the release of the first alpha of version 1. I shall go and make a donation within the next few hours, not sure what state my paypal account is in. Please dont lose hope, after all 1.0 has not reached beta yet, the number of amazing examples and real world uses of ext is still in its infancy, you have not put 1.0 in your blog yet, and it sounds like all sorts of exciting future potential exists via the linkup with JQuery.

I think it takes balls to step out on your own and rely on donations and other future revenue streams to support you & your family. The pressures of money & time are one of the great hurdles that prevents many people breaking out and innovating on their own, it is understandable why people stay away from such risk. In my opinion you have already been bold, and laid foundations which are potentially very important for a stable future. But it will take some time for this to get to a level you need for it to sustain you fully. Those who already along for the ride need to try to mke sure we fill this gap in the meantime, so I dont think you should suffer in silence. But it maybe that in the future the donations on their own are not sustainable, and that the commercial options will be your main revenue and 'subsidize' the opensource side of things more than donations will. If you didnt already suspect that donations on their own arent enough, would you have even started talking about the commercial stuff?

My opinion is that the time for people to go out and evangelize ext and spread word of it to the masses, and thus have a much larger pool of potential donors, is when 1.0 is pretty much finished and released, or at last when the docs and examples are all fully updated. Only then will it become clear just how much of your target earnings are actually achievable via donations.

Please dont give up or start to burnout or panic. Oh I dont mean to lecture you, youve created something magical, and I am just hyper-sensitive about this getting derailed at all by disappointment on either side. Anyway I shutup now and go and sort out a donation, I plan to donate again once 1.0 is nearer completion, I hope it goes towards a nice rest & holiday for you and your family becausse you seem to be a coding machine with an impressive workrate, the least you deserve is some quality time off once some milestone has been reached. Unless you are addicted to this as the users are, thinking about donating is hard when a new release emerges and there is much exciting code to look at

Cheers

Steve from the UK, hoping for a long and fruitful relationship which involves much cash in exchange for wonderful work.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    trevport is on a distinguished road

I'm using yui-ext in a project at work and it has without a doubt saved my weeks of development time. Thus, I have been planning on making a personal donation for some time now but just never got around to it yet (I will tonight I promise). More importantly, I am going to start petitioning the powers above at my company to make a donation as it is playing an ever larger role in our web development. I hope others will also come forward and start rewarding you as well for this amazing toolkit.