ilazarte is on a distinguished road

Default holy canoli - yui 2.2.0 released today

holy canoli - yui 2.2.0 released today

http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/02/20/yui-220-released/
    fyi!

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Bobafart is on a distinguished road

yeah it's like having Christmas twice in one week!

I noticed that Yahoo released a grid component (they call it dataTables):
    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/datatable/

After all the hard work Jack put into creating grids it seems a slap in the face from Yahoo to supplant his hard work.

Although, I have to say that the instructions on creating a Yahoo grid are far superior than the yui-ext. I created a grid using Yahoo in 10 minutes flat whereas it has taken me hours/days to create one using yui-ext (I am still trying to create it).

Still it is sad that Yahoo! (with all the resources it has) spent its time on creating a grid rather than another component. There are so many core components to make we don't need another framework using grids. I think this is framework number 1001 that now has a grid component.

Vote Rating
    jon.whitcraft is on a distinguished road

It's nice that the updated but i'm still a fan of Jack's Grid. I feel it looks and has more functionality to it. Now i only did play with it for around 10 minutes or so but to me the Ext gird is just better as far as usability in an admin type of system.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jon
    Lead Internal Application Engineer - SugarCRM
    h2ik.co

Ext Premium Member BernardChhun's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    BernardChhun will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Bobafart

I noticed that Yahoo released a grid component (they call it dataTables):
    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/datatable/

After all the hard work Jack put into creating grids it seems a slap in the face from Yahoo to supplant his hard work.

Although, I have to say that the instructions on creating a Yahoo grid are far superior than the yui-ext. I created a grid using Yahoo in 10 minutes flat whereas it has taken me hours/days to create one using yui-ext (I am still trying to create it).

Still it is sad that Yahoo! (with all the resources it has) spent its time on creating a grid rather than another component. There are so many core components to make we don't need another framework using grids. I think this is framework number 1001 that now has a grid component.
    Ext's grid is wayyy sexier.

you must take into account that Yahoo! has much more ressources than Jack(who was a one man army after all ) to build the appropriate documentation for their grid.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Bobafart is on a distinguished road

[quote="BernardChhun"]
    Ext's grid is wayyy sexier.

you must take into account that Yahoo! has much more ressources than Jack(who was a one man army after all ) to build the appropriate documentation for their grid.
    I understand this (which is why I believe in and donate to Jack's' Ext) but I don't think the masses will.

Jack's Ext is sexier -- no one will dispute that.

I don't want to sound like a downer. I believe in Ext and want to see it grow. Hopefully it will grow faster now that it has merged with JQuery since there will be more developers at the table.

--
    As an aside I just spent the evening playing with Yahoo's dataTables. My initial impression: Yahoo's are easier to implement/learn however Jack's are hella better. Not just sexier but more functional. There may be more pain in learning Jack's but the gain certainly shows once you get past that learnng curve.

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify - it not a merger but a partnership to work together on a compatibility API for jQuery and Ext.

The YUI stuff looks great. Congrats to them on their new release!

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    mnugter is on a distinguished road

Well, since there are no real instructions yet on setting up a grid with Ext it's quite easy to be superior to them

I'm not very experienced yet with Javascript but I managed to create a grid, with a Search toolbar above the header (refreshes the grid after 1 second of inactivity), rowclick and rowdoubleclick events and a contextmenu within about 3 hours I think everyone can set up an Ext grid with a proper tutorial.

Besides, I don't know if it's just me but I get this feeling the yui is just not finished yet. I think this has something to do with the looks.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

To be fair, "the masses" are not software developers.

"the masses" do not write C++ Windows based apps.

I can't see why "the masses" would fool around with creating web applications.

I'm going to hold off on installing the new YUI until I have Ext 1.0 working. I've talen a look at their grid, and it's very pedestrian. NO wonder it's easier to get an example working. The simplest example is just a straight HTML <table> that gets massaged a little.

The "Paging" example doesn't do XHR paging - it loades the whole, huge dataset in one enormous XHR, and then shows segments of it. IMHO, there's no point in doing that - it's a waste of bandwidth. Humans can only process so much info visually and mentally. Most of the time, if they get a message saying "Page 1 of 100", they're going to either have done the correct filtering/sorting to know that the data they want will be in the first couple of pages, or they're going to think "fek this", and go back and correct their filter/sort criteria.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    mir is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Animal
    To be fair, "the masses" are not software developers.

The "Paging" example doesn't do XHR paging - it loades the whole, huge dataset in one enormous XHR, and then shows segments of it. IMHO, there's no point in doing that - it's a waste of bandwidth.
    Furthermore, it doesn't work for large datasets since the client does not have unlimited RAM.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    natekoechley is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Animal
    The "Paging" example doesn't do XHR paging
    Actually there is an XHR pagination example right here:
    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examp...paginated.html

After all the hard work Jack put into creating grids...
    We're fans of Jack's work as we've said repeatedly.
    http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/10/10/ten-questions-slocum
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/y...t/message/9475

Quote Originally Posted by jacksloc
    Just to clarify - it not a merger but a partnership to work together on a compatibility API for jQuery and Ext.

The YUI stuff looks great. Congrats to them on their new release!
    Thanks Jack, that's very kind of you, and congrats to you too! It will be exciting to see your extensions work interchangably on top of both YUI and jQuery.

I gotta say, I've always been a proponent of frontend engineering but even I didn't predict the extent of the renaissance we're all in these days. What fun!

Thanks
    Nate
    ---
    Nate Koechley
    Yahoo! User Interface Library