Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    darkling235 is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: Application Crashs while debugging in eclipse

Answered: Application Crashs while debugging in eclipse

I've built a very bare bones GXT-3.0.1 app. When I view it normally everything seems to work fine. But when I try to use eclipse to debug the system it fails completely with the error:

Deferred binding failed for 'com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell$TextFieldAppearance'

The class in question changes sometimes but it only happens when I try to use eclipse to debug the application. I'm using GXT-3.0.1, GWT 2.4.0, AppEngine 1.7.1 and the GWT plugin 2.4.0.v201208080120-rel-r37.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this? I can view the page normally while not in hosted mode but once I try to debug it the entire system shuts down. My knee jerk reaction was that something was bad in my eclipse GWT plugin libraries but I just upgraded them all and I have the same problem.

Any help would be wonderful

2. Solution:

This was actually a seriously pernicious classloader issue. A project my GUI depends on was including an old version of a GWT jar despite the fact that that project had no GUI and no reason to have a GWT jar at all. If you run into this issue tear your classpath apart and look for old jars

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice

Can you share your module file, and perhaps the rest of the log? That log might indicate that no theme is selected (to be confirmed by your module), or that some sources are missing (project setup issue). Can you also try making a new sample project and following the same setup to confirm that it isnt a specific issue with your current project?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Here is my module
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <module rename-to='scalebasemanagement'>
        <!-- Inherit the core Web Toolkit stuff. -->
        <inherits name='com.google.gwt.user.User' />
        <!-- Inherit the default GWT style sheet. You can change -->
        <!-- the theme of your GWT application by uncommenting -->
        <!-- any one of the following lines. -->
        <inherits name='com.google.gwt.user.theme.standard.Standard' />
        <inherits name="com.google.gwt.i18n.I18N"/>

<!-- Other module inherits -->
          <inherits name='com.sencha.gxt.ui.GXT' />
        <!-- <inherits name='com.extjs.gxt.charts.Chart' />-->
        <!-- <inherits name="com.google.gwt.visualization.Visualization" />-->

<inherits name="com.scalebase.api.ScaleBaseAPI" />
      <!--  <inherits name="com.extjs.gxt.ui.GXT"/>-->

<!-- Specify the app entry point class. -->
        <entry-point class='com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement' />

<!-- Specify the paths for translatable code -->
        <source path='client' />
        <source path='shared' />

<stylesheet src="js/ext/resources/css/ext-all.css" />
        <script src="js/ext/adapter/ext/ext-base.js" />
        <script src="js/ext/ext-all.js" />
    </module>
    The only theme I'm inheriting is GWT's standard. Do I need to do something else?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

This is the general error message I get:

onModuleLoad() threw an exception

Exception while loading module com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement. See Development Mode for details.
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:396) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler.java:200) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:525) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:363) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for 'com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell$TextFieldAppearance' (did you forget to inherit a required module?) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:53) at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98) at com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell.(TextInputCell.java:38) at com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.client.form.TextField.(TextField.java:21) at com.scalebase.management.client.LoginForm.init(LoginForm.java:86) at com.scalebase.management.client.LoginForm.(LoginForm.java:68) at com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement.onModuleLoad(ScaleBaseManagement.java:41) ... 9 more Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebindAndCreate(ModuleSpace.java:503) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:49) ... 15 more

The issue seems to be intermittent. I mostly see it when I try to integrate charts and standard gxt stuff and have both the chart inherit and the core inherit in my gwt file. However when I remove the second inherit it doesn't necessarily seem to solve the problem. Sometimes I can get it to work and sometimes I can't. Any suggestions?

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice

I'm not sure what you mean 'when I try to integrate charts and standard gxt stuff and have both the chart inherit and the core inherit' - your module as listed doesnt include charts (nor anything called core, of which there are several inside of GXT). The closest I see is
    Code:
    <inherits name='com.extjs.gxt.charts.Chart' />
    which doesn't actually exist within GXT 3.

I would expect the issue to arise in some cases, such as when you have the com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.Core module, but not com.sencha.gxt.ui.GXT or either default theme (com.sencha.gxt.theme.blue.Blue or gray.Gray). The GXT module adds Blue by default, so removing GXT means that you must specifiy a theme explicitly. The GWT themes do nothing to GXT widgets, since they haven't build out styles and images for our specific tools.

Also: GXT 2 and 3 do not require the extjs stylesheet and script tags at the end of your module, though you may require these in another part of your application. That said, aside from making the page take longer to load, they will not otherwise affect GXT 3.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

I usually just use

but when I try to add charts I add

<inherits name='com.sencha.gxt.chart.Chart' />

Now I've removed the chart inherit but am completely unable to load the page at all due to the afore mentioned error. I'll try explicitly adding a theme and see if that helps.

It did not. I can not view the page in hosted or normal mode. Same error:
    TextInputCell$TextFieldAppearance

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <module rename-to='scalebasemanagement'>
    <!-- Inherit the core Web Toolkit stuff. -->
    <inherits name='com.google.gwt.user.User' />
    <!-- Inherit the default GWT style sheet. You can change -->
    <!-- the theme of your GWT application by uncommenting -->
    <!-- any one of the following lines. -->
    <inherits name='com.google.gwt.user.theme.standard.Standard' />
    <inherits name="com.google.gwt.i18n.I18N"/>

<!-- Other module inherits -->
    <inherits name='com.sencha.gxt.theme.blue.Blue'/>
    <!-- <inherits name='com.sencha.gxt.chart.Chart' />-->
    <!-- <inherits name='com.extjs.gxt.charts.Chart' />-->
    <!-- <inherits name="com.google.gwt.visualization.Visualization" />-->

<inherits name="com.scalebase.api.ScaleBaseAPI" />
    <!-- <inherits name="com.extjs.gxt.ui.GXT"/>-->

<!-- Specify the app entry point class. -->
    <entry-point class='com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement' />

<!-- Specify the paths for translatable code -->
    <source path='client' />
    <source path='shared' />

</module>

onModuleLoad() threw an exception

Exception while loading module com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement. See Development Mode for details.
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:396) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler.java:200) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:525) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:363) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for 'com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell$TextFieldAppearance' (did you forget to inherit a required module?) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:53) at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98) at com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell.(TextInputCell.java:38) at com.sencha.gxt.widget.core.client.form.TextField.(TextField.java:21) at com.scalebase.management.client.LoginForm.init(LoginForm.java:86) at com.scalebase.management.client.LoginForm.(LoginForm.java:68) at com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement.onModuleLoad(ScaleBaseManagement.java:42) ... 9 more Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebindAndCreate(ModuleSpace.java:503) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:49) ... 15 more

[ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/mmagliocca/.m2/repository/com/sencha/gxt/gxt/3.0.1/gxt-3.0.1.jar!/com/sencha/gxt/theme/base/client/field/ValueBaseFieldDefaultAppearance.java'
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Line 26: The attribute preventInlining is undefined for the annotation type ImageResource.ImageOptions
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Errors in 'jar:file:/C:/Users/mmagliocca/.m2/repository/com/sencha/gxt/gxt/3.0.1/gxt-3.0.1.jar!/com/sencha/gxt/theme/base/client/field/ValueBaseFieldDefaultAppearance.java'
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Line 26: The attribute preventInlining is undefined for the annotation type ImageResource.ImageOptions
    [DEBUG] [scalebasemanagement] - Rebinding com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.field.TextFieldDefaultAppearance.TextFieldResources
    [DEBUG] [scalebasemanagement] - Checking rule <replace-with class='com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.grid.GroupingViewDefaultAppearance'/>
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Unable to find type 'com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.field.TextFieldDefaultAppearance.TextFieldResources'
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Hint: Previous compiler errors may have made this type unavailable
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Hint: Check the inheritance chain from your module; it may not be inheriting a required module or a module may not be adding its source path entries properly
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Deferred binding failed for 'com.sencha.gxt.theme.base.client.field.TextFieldDefaultAppearance.TextFieldResources'; expect subsequent failures
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Failed to create an instance of 'com.sencha.gxt.cell.core.client.form.TextInputCell$TextFieldAppearance' via deferred binding
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Unable to load module entry point class com.scalebase.management.client.ScaleBaseManagement (see associated exception for details)
    [ERROR] [scalebasemanagement] - Failed to load module 'scalebasemanagement' from user agent 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1' at 127.0.0.1:61283

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Solution:

This was actually a seriously pernicious classloader issue. A project my GUI depends on was including an old version of a GWT jar despite the fact that that project had no GUI and no reason to have a GWT jar at all. If you run into this issue tear your classpath apart and look for old jars

Thread Participants: 1