Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    dshookowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Unanswered: Real data example

Unanswered: Real data example

Does anyone have a pointer to a real-world data example with Sencha? I've looked through documentation and blog and forum posts, but I keep seeing examples that seem somewhat contrived and trivial.

I'm currently working on a project where I have ~11 models with as many stores (is that the right way to design a sencha app? I don't know). I can add the api config to the proxy and actually get it to read data. When I make a call to update, the received object on the server side has no data. Looking at the post, Sencha has added a number of fields that weren't described in the model or in my server-side object definition.

Is there any way of restricting Sencha to only the fields defined in the model? Does anyone have a decent example of a real-world application that does crud operations against Web Services with JSON?

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

The terms "decent" and "real-world" are "trivial" are all subject to interpretation.

I don't speak for Sencha, but I think the examples provided are pretty damn good and cover many aspects. most examples are geared towards the person who is new to Sencha Touch, where it makes no sense to bombard them with an extremely complex application.

If you want to learn how to build complex applications, you need to start with the basics, which the example applications show very well. From there, guides and books are being written on this very subject.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    dshookowsky is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the need for simple, self-contained examples if they underscore the design elements of Sencha. I think they have a place, but I haven't seen a real-world example where a model is updated and synced with a remote service.

In this particular case, I'm wondering what Sencha provides to control serialization of the model. I would prefer that it doesn't add fields to the request that aren't present in the model definition. While in this case, I control the server definition and I can modify that side to accept whatever Sencha provides, there are other cases where I must work with existing web services and don't have the freedom to modify them.

I'm really appreciative of the Sencha Team, but I'm frustrated by the limited documentation and examples. You can see that there's a lot of thought put into the tool's design, but I know I'm not the first person to bemoan the lack of resources and best-practices.

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I've always said that "best-practices" are best for your application needs.

I think what you're looking for is a set of design patterns for your particular need. you're certainly not the first to complain, but trust me when i tell you that it's gotten a bajillion times better.

Have you looked at Direct? Does that solve any of your needs?

Thread Participants: 1