Sencha Premium Member Martin1982's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Martin1982 is on a distinguished road

Default Better Android support === better browser support

Better Android support === better browser support

Are there any plans to make Sencha Touch support for more browsers than just Webkit-based browsers?

I know there is already a topic which confirmes that it's not in scope right now (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?236995). But I think it is important and here's why:

- Android users have the freedom to install any browser they want, and they use it.
    - Jelly Bean comes with Chrome, I installed the beta on my ICS device and there are some bugs (which I still need to report when I have tested thoroughly)
    - Developers like to use their own tools in their own browser, why not give them this power?
    - It gives an oppertunity to use the Touch variant on desktop browsers and tablets
    - Smart-devices won't be limited to phones in the near future, targeting 'just' touch-devices will become too limited. Therefor I think if Sencha Touch wants to keep momentum it has to embrace this future in time.

Don't get me wrong, Sencha Touch is a great product and I use it very often in my day to day work. But I want to start this discussion to improve even more and get ready for the future, to see the different views and opinions on this subject.
    Allround web developer, conference organiser and speaker.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

THe majority of users will not actually install their own browser. Sure, developers will because we know about them but the majority of users using the app. This is backed up by market share of those browsers. This is why we focus on the the native browsers as much as we can. The native browser on Android in 3.x and 4.x sucks, we try to do as much as we can to get around the quirks and issues. Chrome is a lot better but still has work.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member Martin1982's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Martin1982 is on a distinguished road

I can somewhat agree with that, if I'm correct all Android version 4.1.x and up have Chrome as their 'Stock'-browser. I also see Chrome listed as one of the top 10 downloaded apps in the Google Play store each day.

So support for Chrome looks like it's becoming more and more essential. And since it's a webkit based browser I think supporting it shouldn't be a very big adaption in the testing processes.

For now that would suffice, although I'm still thinking about what devices and OS's will do in the long term. And my best guess is that that could become a huge discussion in which nobody can be certain, and only the most widely supported standards (recommendation or not) could be tested.
    Allround web developer, conference organiser and speaker.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Not all devices in the 4.1.x won't have Chrome as it's stock browser unfortunately. We are excited that eventually Chrome will be and that is where Google is going with it.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    kramprabhu is on a distinguished road

Hi Mitchell

I installed Chrome browser in my android device, and tested HTML5/Sencha audio tag in that. It is working fine. But in native android browser its not working.. which everybody knows.

Just wanted to know.. is there other way to play audio file in android browser. If any please share.

-Ram

Thread Participants: 2