Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TrojanMyth is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: How to use ModelData with GXT3

Answered: How to use ModelData with GXT3

Dear all;

I dont want to use AutoBean with Grids. I want to JSON and ModelData as GXT 2.5. but i dont want migration mode.

How do make a solutions?

2. Take a look at the blog post from back in July on presenting data: http://www.sencha.com/blog/building-gxt-charts/ . Much of it about charts, but under the heading ValueProvider there is a discussion on how model objects can be built that don't follow the standard 'beak-like' format, and how ValueProvider can allow you to refer to the data within those objects.

The data model discussed there is essentially a Map<String, Double>, and values can be read and written by the Grid (in the article Brendan uses Chart, but it is the same idea, the same interface is used throughout) using the specialized ValueProviders.

If your model might support String -> Double/Integer/String/Enum, you could build several ValueProviders that describe how to read and write all the possible values. This is what is done in the gxt-legacy.jar in the BaseModelData and ModelDataValueProvider classes.

Vote Rating
    Answers
    icfantv will become famous soon enough icfantv will become famous soon enough

One of the fundamental difference between 2.5 and 3.x is that 3.x makes heavy use of Java generics. Grid was one of the things changed such that grid records are just Java beans. IMO this is actually a VERY good thing because now the model is not tightly coupled to the view framework and thus makes for great code reuse without sucking in unnecessary dependencies.

If you want to use JSON instead of RPC, there is a JsonReader class, but AFAIK, there is no way to use JSON without an auto bean factory, or in fact, converting from JSON to Java beans without one.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thanx for reply. Icfantv.

I very like Java Bean System but as you know, more than one table in the real world. I like Java Bean for insert or update with method but Java bean need per grid by per bean.

Example.

SELECT
    x.col1,
    x.col2,
    x.col3,
    y.col1,
    y.col2,
    y.col3,
    y.col4,
    FROM x INNER JOIN y ON (x.col5=y.col5)

This Query have Two Table. And Two Bean;

I want to JSON and ModelData for this condition. Java bean need XBean and YBean Merge.

What do you recommend for use in this kind of. With bean or Without bean on GWT,GXT

Vote Rating
    Answers

If I understand you correctly, what you are talking about is beyond the scope of GXT. Current ORM frameworks can easily map multiple table data into one Java bean with no additional steps from the user. We are currently doing this in one of our web applications.

What I suspect you're saying is that your server side-code is already serving up JSON and you don't want to modify it. This is fine, but you will need someway to marshall that JSON into another object form and the way this is done in GXT 3.x is with the JsonReader object and auto beans.

I can understand and appreciate not wanting to do a code migration, but GXT 3.x was over a year of development work and a significant portion of the API was a ground up rewrite.

The answer to your question depends on several factors:
    1. What is your time frame? If short, you may want to reuse existing code as much as possible.
    2. What does your server-side interface look like? If it returns JSON, you don't have to change it, but you will need to marshall that back into Java form and the easiest way to do this is via auto beans.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

First thanks for this brain strom and Sorry for my English.
    I have been using GXT 2 since 2 years ago and i developed two project with that.

as you know GXT 2 is ModelData base for data connection. I developed my custom library for database comunication process. This library has Java Bean Support and JSON support. I think insert and update method with JavaBean; select method with JSON. GXT 3 will be my new UI Framework.

I will add multiple table support in my database library's java bean mode.

My bean is now Structure

Code:
    public class ModulesModel implements Model {

public static final List<Index> PrimaryKeys;
        public static final List<Index> ForeginKeys;
        public static final List<Index> Indexes;
        public static final List<Column> Columns;
        public static final String Database;
        public static final String Table;

static {
            Database = "";
            Table = "modules";
            PrimaryKeys = new ArrayList<Index>();
            Index pkmodule_guid = new Index();
            pkmodule_guid.setTable("modules");
            pkmodule_guid.setField("module_guid");
            pkmodule_guid.setName("null");
            pkmodule_guid.setAutoIncrement(false);
            pkmodule_guid.setNullable(false);
            pkmodule_guid.setType(IndexType.PK);
            PrimaryKeys.add(pkmodule_guid);
            ForeginKeys = new ArrayList<Index>();
            Index fkprogram_guid = new Index();
            fkprogram_guid.setTable("program_guid");
            fkprogram_guid.setField("program_guid");
            fkprogram_guid.setName("fk_modules_program_guid");
            fkprogram_guid.setAutoIncrement(false);
            fkprogram_guid.setNullable(false);
            fkprogram_guid.setType(IndexType.FK);
            fkprogram_guid.setForeginTable("program");
            fkprogram_guid.setForeginField("program_guid");
            fkprogram_guid
                    .setUpdateRule(IndexRule.NO_ACTION);
            fkprogram_guid
                    .setDeleteRule(IndexRule.NO_ACTION);
            ForeginKeys.add(fkprogram_guid);
            Indexes = new ArrayList<Index>();
            Columns = new ArrayList<Column>();
            Column colmodule_key = new Column();
            colmodule_key.setDecimalDigits(0);
            colmodule_key.setDefault("null");
            colmodule_key.setName("module_key");
            colmodule_key.setTable("modules");
            colmodule_key.setSize(250);
            colmodule_key.setType(12);
            Columns.add(colmodule_key);
            Column colmodule_adi = new Column();
            colmodule_adi.setDecimalDigits(0);
            colmodule_adi.setDefault("null");
            colmodule_adi.setName("module_adi");
            colmodule_adi.setTable("modules");
            colmodule_adi.setSize(250);
            colmodule_adi.setType(12);
            Columns.add(colmodule_adi);
            Column colprogram_guid = new Column();
            colprogram_guid.setDecimalDigits(0);
            colprogram_guid.setDefault("null");
            colprogram_guid.setName("program_guid");
            colprogram_guid.setTable("modules");
            colprogram_guid.setSize(100);
            colprogram_guid.setType(12);
            Columns.add(colprogram_guid);
            Column colmodule_guid = new Column();
            colmodule_guid.setDecimalDigits(0);
            colmodule_guid.setDefault("null");
            colmodule_guid.setName("module_guid");
            colmodule_guid.setTable("modules");
            colmodule_guid.setSize(100);
            colmodule_guid.setType(12);
            Columns.add(colmodule_guid);
            Column colmodule_type = new Column();
            colmodule_type.setDecimalDigits(0);
            colmodule_type.setDefault("null");
            colmodule_type.setName("module_type");
            colmodule_type.setTable("modules");
            colmodule_type.setSize(10);
            colmodule_type.setType(4);
            Columns.add(colmodule_type);
        }

public ModulesModel() {
        }
        private String module_key;

public void setModule_key(String module_key) {
            this.module_key = module_key;
        }

public String getModule_key() {
            return this.module_key;
        }
        private String module_adi;

public void setModule_adi(String module_adi) {
            this.module_adi = module_adi;
        }

public String getModule_adi() {
            return this.module_adi;
        }
        private String program_guid;

public void setProgram_guid(String program_guid) {
            this.program_guid = program_guid;
        }

public String getProgram_guid() {
            return this.program_guid;
        }
        private String module_guid;

public void setModule_guid(String module_guid) {
            this.module_guid = module_guid;
        }

public String getModule_guid() {
            return this.module_guid;
        }
        private int module_type = -1;

public void setModule_type(int module_type) {
            this.module_type = module_type;
        }

public int getModule_type() {
            return this.module_type;
        }

@Override
        public List<Index> getPrimaryKeys() {
            return ModulesModel.PrimaryKeys;
        }

@Override
        public List<Index> getForeginKeys() {
            return ModulesModel.ForeginKeys;
        }

@Override
        public List<Index> getIndexes() {
            return ModulesModel.Indexes;
        }

@Override
        public List<Column> getColumns() {
            return ModulesModel.Columns;
        }

@Override
        public String getDatabase() {
            return ModulesModel.Database;
        }

@Override
        public String getTable() {
            return ModulesModel.Table;
        }
    }
    I think add a field that model structure. (Map<String,Model> Relations. then My QueryManager will fill relational table on this field.

What do you think about and how can i use this model with GXT PropertyAccess? or do you have another offer.

Best Regards

Vote Rating
    Answers

I'm not sure I follow completely, but to answer your question about property access, as long as your model object adheres to the JavaBean contract then you're fine - you can call any getXXX or isXXX property methods on your bean.

Just a heads up however, that bean is referenced from the client-side which means the GWT compiler will need the source code for EVERYTHING in that class whether or not you actually need or use it.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Then there are 3 ways in front of me

1- use a ORM Framework as OpenJPA (I think performance cost is expesive. Too hard for my project)
    2- Dynamical create model class. ( I dont know its possible)
    3- Create a class for each grid (I thing not flexible coding)

I finded a Class in GXT

http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/com.sencha.gxt/gxt-legacy/3.0.0-beta2/com/sencha/gxt/legacy/client/data/ModelDataValueProvider.java

Do you know how to use this class?

Vote Rating
    Answers

Addressing your items:
    1. There are other, probably more prominent, ORM frameworks out there. Hibernate is probably by far the most ubiquitous but it's a little esoteric. The other is myBatis (previously iBatis).

I could go into a long diatribe about one vs. the other, but in general Hibernate is good if you haven't written your schema yet or you completely control the schema. It really forces you to get your schema and relationships correct. myBatis is good if you want to reuse your existing SQL. And if you're using Spring it's even easier still with their mybatis-spring project.

Ultimately though, they both do the same things: take SQL queries and create Java objects for you.
    2. You can use auto beans to convert your JSON back into a Java object, you just need to provide the factory If you look at the Javadoc for JsonReader (http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/gxt-3.0...sonReader.html), you will see almost a full working example. Plus, there's a JSON Grid demo here: http://www.sencha.com/examples/#ExamplePlace:jsongrid

3. I can understand how one might think that the 1:1 relationship between a grid and it's records is not flexible, but I disagree. A model can be anything and can include containing other models. All you need to do is provide a cell implementation for how to render a cell that makes use of the nested models. You will also ultimately have this restriction with JSON. Personally, trying to create a dynamic grid whose columns change with the data might be more work than it is worth.
    Finally, that class only exists in the legacy code module. You can use it of course, the Javadocs are here: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/gxt-3.0...acy/index.html. As far as HOW to use it, it is just another ValueProvider but happens to take a ModelData object. When you define your ColumnConfig, you'll pass in an instance of your ModelDataValueProvider instead of using PropertyAccess. I think you will need to construct an instance of the ModelDataValueProvider class for each property you need.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rsilver is infamous around these parts

Default How to use ModelData with GXT3

How to use ModelData with GXT3

I had posted a similar question which appears to be getting ignored.
    I am looking for two things at this point.

The ability to dynamically create fields/properties within the bean and then apply that to a grid and please tell me how I might shed the much of the Sencha example code I don't need. I am hoping that the RPC is not a necessary part of Sencha Grids but so far its looking like the servlets are part of what is needed to display the Grids and Charts.

I would be most greatful if someone could address that issue. So far it seems I am stuck with the need to use RPC and bean models to display grids which limits the developer to a specific bean of N fields
    I can not specify as it appears a bean that can grow dynamically in fields or perhaps I am missing something here could anyone comment on this? The closest I had come to dynamic column grids is
    a bean with many columns statically defined and availablility ArrayList<MyModel> myModel=new ArrayList<MyModel>(); and adding references to each field I could use for a dynamic columnConfig set.
    If I ever find my previous posting I will post the contents here. Perhaps it will help others

Here is what I had written:

When using Sencha Grids I find I have to create a fixed model SGrid class and SGridProperties interface such that
    I have to N columns up to as many as I add to my List of ColumnConfig
    as well as SGrid and SGridProperties interface.

private ArrayList<ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>> availGridColumns=new ArrayList<ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>>();

private void setup_availGridColumns()

{
    this.availGridColumns.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.n1(1), 50, " "));
    this.availGridColumns.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.n2(2), 50, " "));
    : :
    this.availGridColumns.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.nZ(), 50, " "));
    }

Note other than this part the grids are working. I do have some sizing issues but the bottom line here is that I need a more dynamic way to do this and I am in need of some basic understanding here of how I might do this more dynamically. Anyone got a good suggestion regarding this??

Now this approach means that for a complete grid of strings and nothing but strings I need my model SGrid to have as many n... properties e.g n200 for 200 columns. So its still limited and not dynamic. The guy I am working with on a project wants it completely dynamic. How might that be accomplished??

How might this be done so it is completely dynamic? Is there another way to do this without the ColumnModel object??

Rather than have to make up a set of availableGridColumns I would perfer
    simply a new GridColumnx.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.n(0), 50, " "));
    simply a new GridColumnx.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.n(1), 50, " "));
    simply a new GridColumnx.add(new ColumnConfig<SGrid, String>(props.n(2), 50, " "));
    which would mean I could create a basic loop and expand the number of fields to display at will without having to update two files SGrid.java(Model Bean class) and SProperties.java (interface)

Vote Rating
    Answers

As far as dynamic columns are concerned, I can't help you because I don't have experience in that area. I do, however, see that you are a premium member. Can you not post something in the premium forums? Sven is usually very good about getting back to the poster.

Also, to be clear, grids are not tied to RPC. Grids have a ListLoader and the ListLoader is responsible for loading data. ListLoaders are not tied to RPC either as the constructor for the ListLoader takes in either just a DataProxy or a DataProxy and a DataReader. You'll happily note that both JsonReader and XmlReader extend DataReader allowing you to not have to use RPC if you don't want to.