Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold

Default Sencha Cmd - Future Java Version Requirements

Sencha Cmd - Future Java Version Requirements

Hi All -

We are evaluating Java 7 API's for some of the upcoming new features of Sencha Cmd and wanted to get some feedback from you, the community, about the potential impact of requiring JRE 7. We realize many or maybe most of you have current JRE's but this is not always the case in some corporate contexts.

The release of JRE 7u4 is most important to Sencha Cmd due to the inclusion of Java FX 2.1 with its Webview based on WebKit (see http://www.drdobbs.com/jvm/java-7u4-...-712/232901064).

In general, however, Java 7's new FileSystem API is also potentially very useful for things like file system monitoring.

Your feedback is most welcome.

Best,
    Don
    Don Griffin
    Engineering Manager - Frameworks (Ext JS / Sencha Touch)

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmulcahey will become famous soon enough dmulcahey will become famous soon enough

My 2 cents on this...

I work for an Insurance Co. And we're pretty far behind. 1.6 U30 is our standard at the moment. That being said, I say go for it. I am running Jenkins, Artifactory and some other tools off of custom build servers and we are keeping those up to date (newest release of 1.7). The version Cmd uses shouldn't concern many people seeing as its a build time requirement and not a runtime requirement.

Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed the nature of Sencha Cmd does give it some latitude there.
    Don Griffin

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    sonata82 will become famous soon enough

Imho 1.6 would be the way to go.

We are deploying our application for Java 1.6.x and for consistency reasons, compiling and building is done using the same Java version. Requiring 1.7 just for Sencha Cmd would be a showstopper for us.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by sonata82 View Post
    Imho 1.6 would be the way to go.

We are deploying our application for Java 1.6.x and for consistency reasons, compiling and building is done using the same Java version. Requiring 1.7 just for Sencha Cmd would be a showstopper for us.
    Not to debate your reasons, but I am curious why 1.6 was chosen.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    sonata82 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    Not to debate your reasons, but I am curious why 1.6 was chosen.
    When the project started two years ago, Java 1.6 looked like a version which was in a stable enough state to use it (we are developing for IBM i). Originally we even started on Java 1.5, to keep the requirements for our customers as low as possible, but pretty soon moved to 1.6, primarly to get support for JAXB 2.0 and StAX.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    phas is on a distinguished road

i ssh to one random server of ours and

Code:
    tesole@ks312811:~/repo/tesolevents/tesolevents/tesolepanel$ apt-cache search jredocbook-jrefentry - DocBook XML JRefEntry DTD
    docbook-xsl - stylesheets for processing DocBook XML files to various output formats
    default-jre-headless - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
    default-jre - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime
    libjrexx-java - automaton based regular expression API for java
    kaffe - A JVM to run Java bytecode
    openjdk-6-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
    openjdk-6-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)
    openjdk-6-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
    openoffice.org - OpenOffice.org Office suite
    ia32-sun-java5-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (32-bit)
    sun-java5-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architecture dependent files)
    sun-java5-fonts - Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
    sun-java5-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 (architecture independent files)
    ia32-sun-java6-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (32-bit)
    sun-java6-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture dependent files)
    sun-java6-fonts - Lucida TrueType fonts (from the Sun JRE)
    sun-java6-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent files)
    sun-java6-plugin - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
    this is my feedback