Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    baze is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: buffer grid view in GXT3.x

Answered: buffer grid view in GXT3.x

Hi all,

I have a question, in the current implement of the grid views I cant see a buffer grid view?
    This was a very cool view for handling a big amount of rows, it would be not supported in 3.x?

hank you,
    Blaze

2. You also posted this in the Q&A section - both were only listed in the last day, not questions are always answered within hours I'm afraid.

The basic reason is that the Grid in 2.x is fairly easy to build to be poorly performing without a tool like BufferView - it should be harder to get in such a situation in 3.0. We've not heard of much need for it - if we find that it is necessary, something like the 2.x BufferView might be reintroduced.

Are you having performance problems? Can you post your grid setup that is performing poorly? BufferView necessarily adds limitations, and the cases where it seems as though it could still be helpful in 3.0 require so many items loaded that the browser may have problems just with that much data.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Default buffer grid view in GXT3.x

buffer grid view in GXT3.x

Hi all,

I post this in the q&a but got no replay at all!

ext gwt had a buffer grod view used to show a big amount of rows in a grid(the view was painting/holding just the one that are visible ) by scrooling up down the view was repainted with the coresponding data.

In GXT3.x I can not see this kind of buffer view, so how we gonna implement a larg amount of entries in a grid?

Also ext gwt was using this as a default implement for the tree grids, so what is the actual implement for a tree grid? And if there is no buffering view would this new implement of trees be capable of handling a larg amount of entries?

Thank you,
    Blaze

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

You also posted this in the Q&A section - both were only listed in the last day, not questions are always answered within hours I'm afraid.

The basic reason is that the Grid in 2.x is fairly easy to build to be poorly performing without a tool like BufferView - it should be harder to get in such a situation in 3.0. We've not heard of much need for it - if we find that it is necessary, something like the 2.x BufferView might be reintroduced.

Are you having performance problems? Can you post your grid setup that is performing poorly? BufferView necessarily adds limitations, and the cases where it seems as though it could still be helpful in 3.0 require so many items loaded that the browser may have problems just with that much data.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating

Hi Colin,

First thank you for your replay!

Im still not used to the new forum, so thats why I posted on the bought places(actually I saw more dev people replaying here after I post in Q&A)

I have done couple of big projects with 2.x and made a massive use of buffer view(did also my own extension so I can bring more features).Now I started a new project from a scratch with 3.x and while building the framework I wanted to encasulate the use of normal grid, tree grid and pageing grid for use with a lot of data. Thats why I was searching for the buffer view, in the next period(I still have to round the project) Ill post a replay how responsive are the grids when a lot of data is displayed.
    Thx again
    Blaze

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't yet heard of serious issues without BufferView, and given the efficacy of LiveGridView (like BufferView, but goes a step further and prevents the client from loading thousands of data items), we've tried to keep the complexity down. If you do have issues without it, but are able to load that much data to the client, building a LiveGridView that loads locally is not hard, and may be a worthwhile thing to try.

Let us know if you have issues, and when reporting such an issue, we would appreciate a simple working example implementing EntryPoint so we can try the same case to either modify the library, or suggest a change in your project.

Thread Participants: 1