Vote Rating
    Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by mlp View Post
    Sorry, but as a paying customer I find your attitude seriously lacking. The question you guys at Sencha should ask yourself is: Can we use TypeScript to benefit your customers and if yes, is the effort worth the result.

I really think at least for your customers that use Visual Studio 2012, providing TypeScript definition files would give your customers a much better tooling experience with little effort and create an additional selling point.
    I'm probably walking on thin ice here, but I honestly think official typescript support would detract from the product. It would needlessly complicate things with little benefit and then you would have to compile before your compile. They would also then have to provide support for a third party language. It is much better driven as a community project for people who absolutely must use Typescript.

The best way Sencha could service its customers who prefer to work in Visual Studio would be to provide an intellisense plugin or other tools to aid with the development of Ext in Visual studio, not another language.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mlp is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Toady View Post
    I'm probably walking on thin ice here, but I honestly think official typescript support would detract from the product. It would needlessly complicate things with little benefit and then you would have to compile before your compile. They would also then have to provide support for a third party language. It is much better driven as a community project for people who absolutely must use Typescript.

The best way Sencha could service its customers who prefer to work in Visual Studio would be to provide an intellisense plugin or other tools to aid with the development of Ext in Visual studio, not another language.
    I have read a lot of forum post, blog entries, comments and articles about TypeScript lately and it seems to me a lot of people really don't understand what TypeScript is about.

TypeScript is not another language, it's a superset of JavaScript. You can write pure JavaScript code in TypeScript. You don't have to use any of the features. You can use any existing JavaScript library in TypeScript without any modification.

But if you provide a TypeScript definition file for that library you get additional benefits such as type checking and IntelliSense. And even if you have a TypeScript definition file for a library you still can write pure JavaScript code and get most of the benefits.

That's why I think it's a pretty good concept.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Dhugal can only hope to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Toady View Post

I am not sure if you have misunderstood what typescript is but my earlier comment was not suggesting that Ext Js be re-written in typescript, nor that you force users to write their code in Typescript.

What I (an I believe what the other posters) are getting at is that if you provide typescript definitions of the ExtJs objects it will provide intellisense in visual studio for people writing typescript or javascript... that's the point.

So it should just be a matter of taking the Ext Code and using the annotations to generate typescript.

Vote Rating
    Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough Tim Toady is a jewel in the rough

I understand that Typescript can read the JS grammar and that the use of Typescript does not necessitate the use of Typescript features. My point, which I tried to hit on in my last post, was that it is not the best solution to the problem. A side-effect, if you will, of using Typescript is that it provides intellisense support. It seems to me that most people here are wanting it for that side-effect. If that is the main goal, why wouldn't we want Sencha to provide a tool specifically for that purpose, rather than trying to take advantage of a third party tool that wouldn't be as robust as one made specifically for that reason? And if Typescript is being used, then there are all the other typescript features that people may (again I understand it is not required) try to use and Sencha now has to support those as well, further complicating the process. It would be very sensible to start declaring types for variables while using Typescript, but now we have another step of compilation. Other Typescript features, may not be a good idea to use with Ext. The process needs to be as simple as possible and preferably independent of third party tools.

Just my opinion...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    john76543 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by mikhail.tatsky View Post
    TypeScript - is not needed.

It is better to learn how to use javascript right.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Lets be clear, no one is suggesting Sencha abandon plain JS and switch to TS, simply that they support development in TS.

The existence and popularity of tech like GWT does demonstrate some big hitters want a safer solution to JS development. That's something I concur with. TS is just a better, lighter solution to the same problem.

It's not a question of 'learning to use javascript right'. If you mistype a property or config field you are relying on unit testing to discover that. Compile time checking (with no runtime overhead) is, in my opinion, an much better solution.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Tychier is on a distinguished road

Great discussion. For those who wants to know more about TypeScript, I highly recommend Anders Hejlsbergs talk on this topic at last weeks GOTO-con in Aarhus, Denmark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqZW_DqHIQ

I support the idea of extracting static type declarations from Ext JS for use with TS, but as others here have pointed out, the class system already present in Ext JS is somewhat different from the typed classes of TS. Using TypeScript with Ext JS as it is now, would simply be redundant regarding classes. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether TS is going to get widely adopted, before vendors that use their own JS class systems will migrate to TS.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

I'm also in the camp that thinks that the useful parts of TypeScript could be done with pure javascript. Intellisense and static type validation requires two things: (1) knowing for each code element which type it should be, and (2) know which types are defined and what shape they have.

(1) can be done via doc comments (in fact this is already the best practice for ExtJS code). (2) can be done by analyzing the most common patterns of declaring types. Javascript lacks a standardized way for declaring the shape of a type, but it doesn't seem impossible to me that you pick a subset of prototype function object mechanisms and only recognize those. Developers would have to change their habits somewhat, but it seems that all of the benefits of TypeScript can be realized by agreeing on a way to declare and annotate types using standard javascript semantics.

Admittedly the TypeScript syntax is nicer, but then the ES6 syntax is nicer as well. ES6 is the way forward, TypeScript seems like a detour.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    john76543 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    (2) can be done by analyzing the most common patterns of declaring types. Javascript lacks a standardized way for declaring the shape of a type, but it doesn't seem impossible to me that you pick a subset of prototype function object mechanisms and only recognize those.
    This sounds interesting, can you explain in more detail how and when this would work?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    zz9pa is on a distinguished road

TBH - I dont mind just trying it out and seeing how we get on..

My code is up @ githib if anyone wants to try it..
    If you can come up with the patterns for what needs to be generated - I'm happy to give it a go..
    If it proves useless - we wont have wasted much time.
    If it proves useful - so much the better..

Either way - I think its worth a punt..

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    kiener@glauxsoft.com is on a distinguished road

Default Here is my vote for ExtJS TypeScript definition files!

Here is my vote for ExtJS TypeScript definition files!

Here is my vote for ExtJS TypeScript definition files!
    I can't understand why sencha is not interested in providing TypeScript definition files. It is just a definition file. They have nothing to change in ExtJS framework. For me ExtJS will be much more attractive if it will support TypeScript. Btw. jQuery, etc. already have TypeScript definition available.

film izle

hd film izle

film sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

takipci kazanma sitesi

güzel olan herşey

takipci alma sitesi

komik eğlenceli videolar