Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LewisWatson is on a distinguished road

Question Unanswered: ExtJS 4.1 Development in Eclipse

Unanswered: ExtJS 4.1 Development in Eclipse

I'm relatively new to ExtJS development and I'm wondering what the current "best practice" is for developing using the Eclipse IDE.

So far I have installed the VJET and Sencha plugins and have started working on a web application using the MVC pattern. I've found excellent documentation to help me get to this point. However I've struggled to find much documentation or discussion about how to run and debug my application from an Eclipse start point. Right now I've configured my Apache server with an alias to my workspace so I can open the application in Firefox. This works but seems a bit disconnected to me.

So I'm hoping to start a discussion here, in particular how do you guys
    • Run you web applications?
      • Do you create a workspace inside your DocumentRoot (htdocs)?
      • Do you set-up your http server to symlink to your workspace?
      • Is there a way to set-up eclipse so you can just click run?
    • What plugins do you find useful?
    • Do you debug your JavaScript in the browser or do you use Eclipse?
    Regards

Lewis

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    a.premkumar is on a distinguished road

Hi Lewis,

At first I was also searching for Sencha plugin to Eclipse. But later I dropped the attempt and started working by including the unpacked sdk folder to my web application's WebContent folder and map the files from html page. It is relatively easy to start coding web applications which uses ExtJS in Eclipse IDE. But I believe it is not the best way to do it. However, this is the only solution I found so for.

The ExtJS part of code is debugged at browser and not in Eclipse. We can use Chrome Developer Tools or Firebug etc to help us debug. While running ExtJS code, firefox is little twitchy comparing to chrome. Better use chrome to minimize the development time.

Regards,
    Premkumar

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default Does anyone actually use Eclipse to develop ExtJS?

Does anyone actually use Eclipse to develop ExtJS?

Thanks for the reply a.premkumar

I'm getting the distinct impression that very few people actually use Eclipse to develop ExtJS!
    Which is a shame because I really like developing Java and PHP applications with Eclipse. So far the benefit of auto-complete is outweighed by the problems I'm facing just working out how to go about setting up a decent development environment.

Since I've had good experiences with Eclipse in the past I think I'll spend a bit more time trying to make it work before looking elsewhere. My next step is read up on the VJET plug-in since I'm not finding it very intuitive to use.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Barbulescu is on a distinguished road

Hi Lewis,

As far as I know Sencha Eclipse plugin is now available as part of the Sencha Complete product, however, it is not included when purchasing the stand-alone Ext JS license.

I would like to know if you have managed to setup a proper development environment in Eclipse for Ext JS, without Sencha Eclipse Plugin (i.e. with just 1 developer seat license for Ext JS).

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Mihai Barbulescu

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Smile Post-Eclipse development

Post-Eclipse development

Hi Mihai I'm sorry to say I ended up moving away from Eclipse. My current setup consists of * Sublime Text 2 - http://www.sublimetext.com/ * Firefox + Firebug for debugging * Bryntum Siesta for unit tests - http://www.bryntum.com/products/siesta/ Hopefully, once I get my head around it, I plan to use Sencha Command to generate and compile applications. Hope this helps. Lewis

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    kamleshnit07 is on a distinguished road

Default ANy Simple MVC application with EXTJS and Eclipse IDE

ANy Simple MVC application with EXTJS and Eclipse IDE

Hi Lewis,

Please suggest us how to start working with Eclipse IDE, its an urgent requirment wanted to start this.
    Thanks in Advance...
    Kamal