Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold LesJ is a splendid one to behold

Default Ext.util.Observable usage

Ext.util.Observable usage

I did a search of the entire Ext JS code base to see how the Ext.util.Observable class is used...

The mixin pattern is used the most frequently, but a small number of Ext JS classes extend Observable.

Is there a reason for this inconsistency? I think the mixin pattern should be preferred because it makes the prototype chain shorter.

Code:
    Ext.define('Ext.state.Provider', {
        mixins: {
            observable: 'Ext.util.Observable'
        },
    Code:
    Ext.define('Ext.selection.Model', {
        extend: 'Ext.util.Observable',
        alternateClassName: 'Ext.AbstractSelectionModel',
        requires: ['Ext.data.StoreManager'],
            bindable: 'Ext.util.Bindable'    
        },

Vote Rating
    burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough burnnat is a jewel in the rough

I can't speak authoritatively (of course), but if I were to offer a guess, my first impression is that it could be because Ext.util.Observable provides a constructor that is automatically inherited by subclasses, but has to be explicitly called when used as a mixin. As a result, strict subclasses have somewhat cleaner code:
    Code:
    Ext.define('MixinObservable', {
            observable: 'Ext.util.Observable'
        },

constructor: function() {
            var me = this;
            me.mixins.observable.constructor.call(me);
        }
    })

// ... versus ...

Ext.define('SubclassObservable', {
        extend: 'Ext.util.Observable'
    });
    Whether the shorter prototype chain is worth the tradeoff with more verbose code is a separate question, I think. And this is just a guess anyway.

Thread Participants: 1