Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    yogeshk is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: Using native device features using ST2

Answered: Using native device features using ST2

Hi,
    I'm new user of Sencha Touch 2... I have a question about the accessing device features such as accessing a camera or contacts.

Does Sencha Touch 2 totally depends on phonegap library to access such device features?

Is Sencha Touch 2 includes it's own library to access device features? OR Is it possible to access the device features using Sencha Touch 2 and not using the phonegap?

2. Quote Originally Posted by yogeshk View Post
    Does it mean that Sencha Packger too provides access to the Native APIs, say to capture images, as Phonegap does?
    Yes, there are a few APIs available: http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/....device.Camera (check the others under Ext.device.) and there is more to come with version 2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by yogeshk View Post
    Does it mean that use of phonegap is now optional? Can I create an mobile application with Native capabilities using Sencha Packager(and ST2) alone?
    Yes. It just depends on what you need. Sencha doesn't offer as much as PhoneGap (yet?).

Vote Rating
    Answers
    jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice jerome76 is just really nice

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thanks jerome76.
    I have gone throgh the links you sent to me. In the link Using native APIs, sencha states that "The Ext.device API does not itself provide the native API capabilities - it's just a wrapper that can be used to access native APIs powered by the Sencha Packager or third party solutions like Phonegap and the iOS Simulator."
    Does it mean that Sencha Packger too provides access to the Native APIs, say to capture images, as Phonegap does?
    I have seen the Sencha Touch source, there are seperate implementations for accessing Native APIs using Phonegap and Sencha(Packager?).. Does it mean that use of phonegap is now optional? Can I create an mobile application with Native capabilities using Sencha Packager(and ST2) alone?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about ingo.hefti has a spectacular aura about

Yes, there are a few APIs available: http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/#!/....device.Camera (check the others under Ext.device.) and there is more to come with version 2.1.

Does it mean that use of phonegap is now optional? Can I create an mobile application with Native capabilities using Sencha Packager(and ST2) alone?
    Yes. It just depends on what you need. Sencha doesn't offer as much as PhoneGap (yet?).

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Okay... Thanks to all for these valuable information.

Thread Participants: 2