Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmillasich is on a distinguished road

Default Forum Search Feedback

Forum Search Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    There was just a lengthy outage on the sencha forum. Since it coincided with the Amazon EC2 outage that affected a ton of sites, I'm going to assume that was the problem.

I've already provided a lot of feedback on where the search is still lacking, but so far all I get is "not a priority at this time."

I don't know what happened to my feedback. It's frustrating to take valuable time out of an already time starved day to write something up that'll simply vanish. So now, in order to cover my ass I've resorted to typing this up in an external editor, then cut/pasting it back into the forum dialog.

Regarding the forum search:

I preferred the mechanism in the previous version where the search was available at deeper levels within the forum categories. The new mechanism is awkward. It's only available at the top level of the hierarchy and the form to define filters is a bit cryptic. In the previous version, one went into an advanced search from the forum category (Ext JS, Sencha Touch 2, Sencha Touch 1) and provided the search text along with other filter criteria, such as which forum categories to include in the search.

I suspect this is still a possibility within the new search, but I have to learn something new that I already knew how to do, and in return there's no perceivable improvement.

That's frustrating.

It's unfortunate that the search is "not a priority at this time". In my view it's taken a step backwards. I'm less likely to use a feature that's meant to draw a user into the forums - not repel them.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

I couldn't agree more about the searching at other levels. I posted basically the same thing here:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...l=1#post898850

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

As jep said we are actually hosted by Amazon so the issues they are having today and other days we get affected also.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmillasich is on a distinguished road

My guess is that it was an unfortunate alignment of the stars.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    pentool will become famous soon enough

Well, thanks to my bright and shiny job, where I not only have to wash windows, fix the leaks on the roof, service customers' cars, fix jet engines, and plant seeds for next year, I also have to code. So after attending to other higher priority "chores", I came back to continue where I left off with Sencha.

And I was going to search...and...where the heck is the search thing. I thought there was a search somewhere no? I thought my browser had a glitch so I checked if it had the latest version. It did. I switched to another browser, just in case, to check if this is some browser issue. While I was doing it, my frustration increased. I was looking for "french phrases" to express my frustration.

Have to say, that I don't go directly to the "main" page of the forums. I have the Sencha Touch related forums bookmarked and so I just go directly there.

So anyhow, went back to the main forum page and low and behold. I'll be darned. All this work for nothing because it turns out there's a search on the main page. But that's the ONLY page where it is!

I understand that Sencha probably did a good amount of effort and work to make things easier. I try to make an effort to believe that ppl invest time and energy into their work to make things better.

In this case, I find this a major fail. This is frustrating, annoying, and irritating to go back to the first page of the forums all the time if I want to search for something. I find this quite unorthodox, since most (if not all) forums have the search feature available on each forum page.

I appreciate the effort, but if possible, please ease the frustration and make the search function available on EACH forum page.

Thank you.

PS: Not to mention, I can't even sort the results by date. What good it is to have a result on the 3rd place which dates back to early 2011 (using ST 1.0) when the latest result showing up in the 2nd page.

Vote Rating

FYI, I just recently posted some bugs and shortcoming to the main thread about the new search:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...-Sencha-Search

It's just extremely frustrating because the old search had some very annoying shortcomings, but it's better than what we've been left with after all that teasing of The Search to End All Searches. This is why incremental improvement is often better than trying to create a huge new complex thing all at once.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

@pentool We will be rolling search out to more areas of the site and will revisit the site template to have a static place for the search field. Currently where it is on the forum index when you drill into a forum and such that space is occupied so we would have to move that around but if we move things now we would have to think about confusing people because they may love what is there and not love where we moved it too so there are two sides to the coin but something we will definitely look in to.

The vBulletin search had a drop down in the forum tools toolbar which I will be working to get this search back in there but I honestly don't think it's the "right" spot for it. I'd rather have an obvious input field somewhere up in the header in a static spot at all times.

We built this search for the community to use and getting objective feedback (jep has given a lot) is fantastic and we will be prioritizing that work and executing it. We are remaining agile in how we execute even if we have to rewrite things.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Vote Rating

The thing is I'd LOVE to give you lots of feedback and do tons of free testing for you. But you (and by which I don't really mean you, Mitchell, but more whoever decides what you spend your time on) really have to make this more of a priority and get it done. There will always be some new Ext or Sencha Touch thing that just "has to be done" and it'll always be "crunch time". And the forum, the place developers go to actually make sense of your products, will continue to suffer.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jodo3k is on a distinguished road

Default Here's the error message I get when using the new search.

Here's the error message I get when using the new search.

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://www.sencha.com/forum/misc.php...ws=25&forums=0. Origin http://forums.sencha.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin.

Vote Rating

Where are you getting forums.sencha.com as a url? That url is not a valid URL for the forums