You found a bug! We've classified it as TOUCH-3600 . We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

Default Chart crashing on iPad 1 (ST 2.1 RC2)

Chart crashing on iPad 1 (ST 2.1 RC2)

This has been posted about before, but not so much as a bug (well, a similar one but without much of a testcase).

This testcase is pretty easy because it's the energy app demo that is packaged in ST 2.1 RC2. Just load it up on the iPad 1 in Safari. Click on Consumption. Click on All States. Bang, crash. Safari goes down.

I'm not sure what else you would need to reproduce this. It's pretty clearcut. I've experienced it in my app as well. I pared down my chart quite a bit, but I could never figure out any one thing that caused it. It was just when the chart got slightly complex, with several series, a legend, multiple y-axes, etc. You could comment out any one of those and it would be fine. But with everything on, it just blew up. And we're not talking about incredibly complicated charts.

But for now, just focus on the energy app and know that this is happening to quite a lot of people. Really looking forward to it being fixed for GA.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report! I have opened a bug in our bug tracker.

Do remember the iPad 1 only has 256MB of RAM so it will be limited but we will look into what we can do.

Vote Rating

Still crashing with 2.1 GA. I realize the iPad has 256MB of RAM. Do you think your charting code eats that much RAM? You can reproduce this with a minimal set of data and a dozen or so series. I'd be surprised if the chart drawing code was that inefficient.

Vote Rating
    hotdp will become famous soon enough

Hi,
    I had same problem, also on iPad3.
    The problem should be the amount of Ram the canvas uses.
    You can try the svg engine to see if thats the problem.

add ?svg to the url.

Vote Rating

Thanks. Looks like it crashes with that, too.

So without svg, it crashes even on an ipad3 with it's plentiful 1gig of ram? That's pretty notable.

Does it not crash with svg turned on?

Vote Rating
    hotdp will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    Does it not crash with svg turned on?
    No not in my case. Its not the Power app but my own who had problems.

Thread Participants: 2