Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    OhmzTech is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Asynchronous Loading of Google Maps API

Unanswered: Asynchronous Loading of Google Maps API

Recently I decided to change the Google Maps API to load asynchronously in order to improve initial application load time. Unfortunately I found that sometimes this will cause Sencha Touch not to load properly when initializing the map component. After some investigation I found that this is because Sencha Touch looks for the presence of the google.maps variable, and if found, proceeds with loading and rendering the map.

However when loading Google Maps asynchronously (either by adding the async tag to the script, or using the Google loader with a callback) the remote script immediately returns with an empty google.maps variable while waiting for the main Google Maps API to load. In the rare situations where this initial Google maps file is loaded and Sencha Touch loads the map before the main Google Maps file is loaded there is an error. A possible fix would be to look to the presence of a deeper google.maps variable, such as google.maps.version - which would indicate the file is fully loaded.

Checking for this google.maps variable happens at the beginning of the renderMap function. A link to the source has been provided below. Please let me know if I can offer any additional information.

http://docs.sencha.com/touch/2-0/sou...thod-renderMap

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if you are going to instantiate an instance of Ext.Map right away then the maps api needs to be loaded sync. If you aren't going to create an instance until after some user interactions then loading async would be ok just have to think about latency in mobile networks.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Arekkk is on a distinguished road

Yes, here is the process I used :

- Build an empty container (or panel) with a layout:fit. It will contain the map after.
    - When you want do this :

Code:
    doSomething; //call here a function to get the API asynchronously;

Ext.getCmp('YOURCONTAINER').add(
    	{
    		            xtype: 'map',
    		            mapOptions: {
    		                zoom : 14,
    		                center: whereyouwant 
            },          
            listeners: {
            enjoy Gmap here.