Hybrid View

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Materix is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha for ecommerce?

Sencha for ecommerce?

Does it make sense to create ecommerce sites using frameworks such as ExtJs/Sencha Touch, that rely heavily on javascript?

The main "con"-argument being that not all clients (customers) can run all javascript, resulting in lost sales.

What do you think?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

People can turn off javascript in their browsers but it's a very small percentage of people. I'm not saying like 3%, it's like 0.0003% maybe that.

One thing about having using javascript is you can't rely on it as it can be changed so the server has to also have security in it to stop someone from doing something they are not allowed to do. JavaScript is just a view part of it and can build a very rich UI.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the reply.

One small percentage as you say, is disabled javascript. I have for instance, seen that often in browsers used in computers in banking sector.

Another percentage are old browser versions, that Sencha does not support.

And another percentage is hardware that is not fast enough, to make a adequate javascript-based user-experience. Is guess this is more true for Sencha Touch (mobile-phones) than for ExtJs.

You are correct about the need for server-side validation.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure banks aren't wanting their employees to be doing non bank things on their computers

About the older browsers, that's going to also be a very small percentage but if your projected users will be for some reason, you may need to have a very simplified version of your app but you can use a JS framework for the vast majority that will have a more modern browser.

Hardware, for mobile there are things you can do to protect yourself from devices that are older. The good thing about mobile devices is people seem to upgrade much more frequently than they do an actual computer.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Hardware, for mobile there are things you can do to protect yourself from devices that are older.
    How can I do that? :-)

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Materix View Post
    How can I do that? :-)
    Things like if a component isn't viewable on screen, it shouldn't be rendered. You can do this by removing the component from a container but not destroying it. Then when it is to be made visible add it back to the container and it will be rendered again.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    al.todd is on a distinguished road

Why does the ecommerce domain effect the performance of the app?

Surely its how the site is written that counts? And how many features it has (and therefore classes/components/styling).

You could build a single page ext js app for ecommerce and expect < 1Mb of minified js and css.

You have to put that into perspective. Is that reasonable for say a Play store app? I think it is.

But also since it's single page app - that's it: 1Mb once, the rest is relatively small ajax calls. Very performant indeed. Any bottlenecks are going to be in your back-end business / data tier - nothing to do with UI framework.

Hats off the the latest Sencha CMD tool that is very intelligent and effective at packaging up the app's assets into the smallest common denominator.