Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

Default Replacing SDK v2 with Cmd v3

Replacing SDK v2 with Cmd v3

Hi,

Trying to get an app building in using the new Sencha Cmd v3, and having issues.
    Can't seem to get a decent error message out of it...

I have a three stage process:
    1. Make symlinks so that filesystem looks like web structure.
    2. Create JSB3
    3. Build it
    In SDK Tools v2 creating the JSB3 used:
    Code:
    sencha create jsb -a http://localhost/TransferGateway/index_build.html -p ATG.jsb3
    Now I'm trying (in Cmd v3):
    Code:
    sencha --debug app resolve -uri http://localhost/transfergateway/index_build.html -output-file ATG_cmd3.jsb3
    Getting output:
    Code:
    Sencha Cmd v3.0.0.250
    [ERR]           null

com.sencha.exceptions.BasicException
            at com.sencha.exceptions.BasicException.wrap(BasicException.java:43)
            at com.sencha.cli.Command.dispatch(Command.java:104)
            at com.sencha.cli.Commands.dispatch(Commands.java:49)
            at com.sencha.cli.Commands.dispatch(Commands.java:49)
            at com.sencha.command.Sencha.main(Sencha.java:71)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.sencha.command.app.AppCommands$ResolveCommand.execute(AppCommands.java:197)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at com.sencha.cli.Command.dispatch(Command.java:78)
            ... 3 more

I have no idea how I'm going to do the next step, building the JSB3.
    Trying to point it at an older version either does nothing or give me:
    Code:
    [ERR]           Please ensure this command was executed from a valid application directory
    [ERR]           Unable to locate 'app.dir' config property from sencha.cfg
    I do not use Sencha Architect, this is an existing product.
    Can I generate an app.dir or something? What is its format?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,
    Westy
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold

Step 2 is the issue... Cmd does not produce JSB3 files but does have support for building from them if you have a process for maintaining them.

The compiler picks up configuration from the ".sencha/app/sencha.cfg" file but that is not required to use the compiler.

I would start here on the guides: http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-1/#!...and_app_single

If you have specific questions about your app structure, feel free to elaborate.
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold dongryphon is a splendid one to behold

Probably should mention that Cmd compiles from sources and not a running instance. This workflow from v2 was quite a problem for lots of folks... it was tricky to have to run your app in order to build your app.
    Don Griffin

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    Probably should mention that Cmd compiles from sources and not a running instance. This workflow from v2 was quite a problem for lots of folks... it was tricky to have to run your app in order to build your app.
    Does it still analyse what classes are actually referenced, to build the minimum set it can?
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Vote Rating

Thanks for the info by the way.

I must say this looks like a step back for us. Yes, actually loading the site from the filesystem required some messing about with symlinked directories to make the structure the same as the web site, and this may not be simple for some, but it's quite a nice way of producing a list of all referenced classes that can then be built.

Having all the source in the single html is not really going to work for us.
    We already have the concept of a bootstrap file, into which goes the path configuration that clients may want to tinker with.

To illustrate, our index_build.html:
    Code:
    <!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=10,chrome=1">
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<!-- Ext includes -->
        <script type="text/javascript" src="lib/Ext/4.1.3/ext-dev.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
            // Set up dynamic class loader
            Ext.Loader.setConfig({
                enabled: true,
                disableCaching: false
            });
        </script>

<!-- Third party references -->
        <script type="text/javascript" src="lib/js/log4javascript/log4javascript-1.4.1/log4javascript.js"></script>

<!-- Use Javascript to sort out our remaining includes -->
        <script type="text/javascript" src="bootstrap_build.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body/>
    </html>
    And an example of our bootstrap:
    Code:
    (function() {
        Ext.define('Altus.Products.Product1.Constants', {
            singleton: true,

extRoot: 'lib/Ext/4.1.3',

commonRoot: 'Common',
            product2Root: 'Product2',
            product2RootForServices: '/Product2',
            productName: 'Product 1',

themeName: 'altus-blue',

defaultBatchRequests: 10,
            defaultMaxRetries: 5,
            defaultTimeout: 10000,

retryTimeFactor: 2,
            timeoutLimit: 300000
        });

Ext.define('Altus.Products.Product2.Constants', {
            singleton: true,

defaultBatchRequests: 10,
            defaultMaxRetries: 5,
            defaultTimeout: 3000,
            retryTimeFactor: 2,
            timeoutLimit: 300000
        });

// Configure the dynamic class loader
        Ext.Loader.setPath('Common', Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/app');
        Ext.Loader.setPath('Altus.Products.Product2', Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.product2Root + '/app');
        Ext.Loader.setPath('Altus.Products.Product1', 'app');

Ext.Loader.setPath('Ext', 'src');
        Ext.Loader.setPath('Ext.ux', Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.extRoot + '/examples/ux');

// Disable Fx if we're in an old browser
        if (Ext.isIE && !Ext.isIE9) {
            if (Ext.isDefined(Ext.global.console)) {
                Ext.global.console.warn('IE8 or below, disabling Fx...');
            }
            Ext.enableFx = false;
        }

// Now sort our includes...

// Favicon
        document.write('<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/resources/images/favicon.ico" />');
        document.write('<link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/resources/images/favicon.ico">');

// Including our framework fixes here means that we cannot change Ext.define, but that's pretty unlikely anyway...
        // FIXME: We may want to use Ext.Loader to load additional scripts, see: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?176555-Loading-a-script-file
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/app/FrameworkFixes.js"></script>');

// CSS

// Our Ext theme
        document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" href="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/resources/css/ext-all-' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.themeName + '.css" type="text/css">');

// Our own styles
        document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" href="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.commonRoot + '/resources/css/altus.css" type="text/css">');
        document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" href="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.product2Root + '/resources/css/ams.css" type="text/css">');
        document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" href="resources/css/atg.css" type="text/css">');

// Ext.Direct handlers
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.product2RootForServices + '/Services/Json/AuthenticationServiceHandler.ashx"></script>');
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.product2RootForServices + '/Services/Json/TokenGenerationServiceHandler.ashx"></script>');
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="' + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.product2RootForServices + '/Services/Json/TokenInformationServiceHandler.ashx"></script>');
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="Services/Json/ServiceHandler.ashx"></script>');

// The ATG application class
        document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="app/Application.js"></script>');

// Set the page title
        document.title = "Altus " + Altus.Products.Product1.Constants.productName;
    }());

I think will have to keep using v2 for now, and hope that either it continues to work, or that you add support for the phantomjs method to v3.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Westy
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Does it still analyse what classes are actually referenced, to build the minimum set it can?
    Definitely yes - that is the whole purpose of a build.

The difference is that Cmd does this by reading your sources and parsing them into syntax trees and then looks for "requires" and "uses" (and the rest) to determine dependencies. Unlike v2, Cmd respects conditional dependencies as well, that is those wrapped in <debug> or <if> comments like so:

Code:
        Ext.define('MyApp.foo.Bar', {
            requires: [
                //<debug>
                'Ext.diag.*',
                //</debug>

'Ext.grid.Panel'
            ],
        );
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    Definitely yes - that is the whole purpose of a build.
    Ok, that's good to know.
    Perhaps I'll revisit when I have time.

My application is properly laid out in the suggested MVCS structure, but references some common code too, and some code from another product.
    Is this something that would be supported by Cmd v3, and if so how, by analysing a directory structure, or a config file perhaps?

As I said, I do not use Architect (and am not about to start), but surely this layout should be supported?
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Vote Rating

My application is properly laid out in the suggested MVCS structure, but references some common code too, and some code from another product.
    Is this something that would be supported by Cmd v3, and if so how, by analysing a directory structure, or a config file perhaps?
    Yes, the Cmd compiler can accept paths to folders on the command line (called the "classpath") and these can be configured if you use Cmd to generate a temporary app and copy its ".sencha" folder to your app.

As I said, I do not use Architect (and am not about to start), but surely this layout should be supported?
    Use of Sencha Architect is not required for Cmd. Cmd is a lower level tool but has similar conventions by default.

Cmd provides some high level commands that assume the app structure it generates but even that is not required to use the commands that accept paths. Also, many of the particulars of a generated app can be configured in the ".sencha/app/sencha.cfg" file or via Ant properties when using the generated build script.
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating

Cool, so I should be aiming to generate an app, then check it's .sencha folder.
    Sounds like once I have that sorted I can push that to the repo and we're good to go.

Thanks, will have another look when I get some time.
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Thread Participants: 1