Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    jugg1es can only hope to improve

Default Unanswered: Performance consideration: refs vs componentquery

Unanswered: Performance consideration: refs vs componentquery

I was just wondering whether its always faster to use refs instead of using componentquery if you are only referencing the item a single time in a controller. I assume that refs use componentquery anyway, but I guess I'm asking whether any cpu cycles are saved by using refs as opposed to just using componentquery

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, refs do use ComponentQuery to lookup and starts at the top and works it's way down and finds all instances matching your selector and then uses the first. This can be bad performance depending how many components you have instantiated.

Another way is to start at a component and walk up/down to get the reference you are wanting. You can then set that instance as a property to reference whenever.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Kurt001 has a spectacular aura about Kurt001 has a spectacular aura about

Default Example plese

Example plese

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Another way is to start at a component and walk up/down to get the reference you are wanting. You can then set that instance as a property to reference whenever.
    So could I ref one item and use this ref as a starting ref inside the ref config?

This could be helpful to use shorter itemIds as we usually do the following:

Code:
    refs:{
        currentView: '#myView',
        btnOnView: '#myView #btnOnView'
    }
    So - if I could start the btn ref with at the currentView level, that could help.

Thread Participants: 2