Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jordiga is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Server-side updates

Unanswered: Server-side updates

I'm starting with ExtJS so my question may very well already been answered somewhere in these forums, but I couldn't find it. I want to start a web app to show some stock prices on some grid. The catch is, the stock prices will change (in the end, in realtime) and when the server knows that a price has changed, it needs to send that change to the client (no polling every X seconds from the client side). So, the server needs to invalidate the store the client is using, somehow. And the client needs to know exactly what price has changed, so that it can change the background color of that cell for a brief period of time. How do you start this? I'm quite certain this can easily be done in ExtJS, but I'm not really sure how.

Thanks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

You need to use a technology that can push updates to the browser, JavaScript does not have this ability natively cross browser. I personally use Socket.IO as it supports web sockets for new browsers but also has Flash that can be used.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jordiga is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    You need to use a technology that can push updates to the browser, JavaScript does not have this ability natively cross browser. I personally use Socket.IO as it supports web sockets for new browsers but also has Flash that can be used.
    Yeah, I was thinking on using WebSockets to get the updates pushed to the client side. But what combination of store/model/controller should I use?

Thread Participants: 1