Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSharp2 View Post
    I am suspicious of those who want to form committees and sit as representatives of the people. Good technitions want to create and not talk.
    OK, but that doesn't address at all the idea of having some sort of higher-level collaboration between the community and Sencha. I'm not just proposing this out of the blue. I have actually been on these sorts of committees and have seen the beneficial results of such collaboration.

Many of the education items you suggest are covered in the learn section here, I wonder if you have fully explored this?
    I've read everything in the docs Guides section and the various Learn areas of the site. Much of that content is old or out of date (and has prominent notes at the tops of the articles stating this). But even beyond that, the topics that I mentioned (advanced class system details, pre/post processor creation, plugins, advanced XTemplates, inner working of trees and grids, etc. etc.) are definitely not covered in the Learn section. Or anywhere else for that matter. Which part of the problem I'd like to see solved.

Pulling core product developers away from their main job is disruptive. They might not be regular presenters hence they will have to devote a disproportionate amount of time preparing to present. This is why the Microsoft's of this world have full time evangelists.
    I was very clear in saying that I would want these presentations to NOT be disruptive. These would not have to be "conference-level-of-refinement" presentations. Like I said, I'd be fine if it was just a "brain dump" by someone who knows what they are talking about.

Microsoft has full-time evangelists because they are a $225 Billion company. I'd love to see more Sencha evangelists but I doubt they can financially support something like that yet. Which comes right back around to the need to leverage the community to help in this area through community evangelists and/or a community advisory board.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Will speak of a couple things here, some of which are 100% public yet.

I personally have been burning the midnight oil on building a knowledge base. You may ask yourself, "Great, just another place to try and find things." While that is true we are looking at it differently. This knowledge base will be searchable and more people (at this time Sencha internal) will have access to create/edit/delete articles. There is a primitive administration of these for quality control and fact checking but the thought is the more people that has access the more articles that can be created and the more articles can be updated. Plus this is an Ext JS 4 MVC app using Sencha Cmd so it's directly Sencha stuff building this.

About the interactions between Sencha and the community. Couldn't agree more. People who used to be very active in these forums aren't as active as they used to be, this is because the demand for the "experts" in Sencha products has gone through the roof. My direct impact is with the knowledge base to help elevate knowledge and to help people where I can with these articles. I was going to just pursue my blog but I've let it slip in favor of the internal projects I have helped.

I know you don't mind presentations to have "conference-level-of-refinement" but as a company we would have to find a happy medium. I wouldn't want to start releases sub-par quality videos out there but would like to get some out there. There is always a quality vs quantity question and in my book quality should always win. I can't speak for company plans in this but I personally would love to do many knowledge base articles and some even having video to back it up.

Hmmm... may think of other things but this is it for now.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of brian428 has much to be proud of

Thanks, Mitchell. A knowledge base sounds like it would also help, but obviously the real key is the content that goes into it. If having the dev team or other experts push content into a tool like that sounds easier or less disruptive than doing presos, I'm all for it.

With regard to the lowered activity of the "experts", that's not surprising. Yes, the demand for experts has probably never been higher. It seems to me that the problem is that it is quite difficult to become an expert because there are really no resources out there catering to this level of understanding of the platforms. That's part of why I was proposing more dev team interaction.

We've got the guides portion of the API docs and a few books published. But I've gone though these and read the books and these are primarily what I would call introductory or (at most) intermediate coverage of the platforms. Which is fine...most of the content out there should be geared towards making people productive under common usage scenarios.

But once you hit a certain point, the only option left is reading the source code and a lot of trial and error. (And anyone who's read the source code knows there is a lot of source code!) While there's obviously no way for Sencha to provide deep coverage of every nook and cranny of ExtJS and Touch, I think there are definitely certain areas that a lot of people would love more information about. Since you mentioned the knowledge base, it sounds like you agree with me on this, at least to some degree.

So, thanks. Something like this would definitely help!

Brian

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Making it easy for Sencha staff to contribute will help a lot. Right now I'm not even sure how to update the learn section or the api doc guides to be honest. The learn section is quite out dated to be honest. We have talked about letting some/all community members contribute but we decided to push that off to a 1.x or 2.x release. Since we have support subscription model, we have 3 different types of articles, internal, premium and public. Our internal is for training and such, premium is for support subscribers and public will be for all. We are looking at starting a roll out this week but will start small and internal to flush out any bugs since there has only been 3 of us to use it... course have to do internal testing but we really feel like this is going to help tremendously. I already know of a lot of people that I have demoed it to that are already creating articles to import this next week, there is a high level of excitement internally about this and we are only starting (project been open for only 3 weeks but almost feature complete for a 1.0 release). Since it is built with Ext JS 4 it means that it should be very easy to maintain (especially if you have seen my code, to give myself a pat ont he back ) so we will continue to fix bugs of course but also add features as we need them.

Can't say it enough that the ease to create/edit/delete articles will make it very easy and welcoming to maintain articles. (if you can't get my excitement)

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    We are looking at starting a roll out this week but will start small and internal to flush out any bugs since there has only been 3 of us to use it... course have to do internal testing but we really feel like this is going to help tremendously.
    Hey Mitchell, just curious if the knowledge base idea had progressed any further? How did your internal testing go?

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by brian428 View Post
    Hey Mitchell, just curious if the knowledge base idea had progressed any further? How did your internal testing go?
    Thanks for your inquiry. We opened it up to more internal users again just last week and things are going pretty good. The issue right now is to find time to get content into the knowledge base so I'm making it allow the community to also create and edit articles which is taking a little refactor of the logic. Been working on this 7 days a week for a few weeks so I took a few days off as I needed some time off