You found a bug! We've classified it as DSGNR-2905 . We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    coolfish is on a distinguished road

Default Could not find master instance -> work lost!

Could not find master instance -> work lost!

Sencha Architect 2.1 r676 on os x.

My project has multiple linked instances to a component (just an extended Ext.dataview.list where I override the prepareData method). If I (save and then) close sencha architect and re-open the project, at least 1 of my linked instances will not be found and it'll automatically remove the component from the view (along with the new code in prepareData).

The error displayed is:

Could not find master instance ExtBox1-ext-gen2866 for linked instance "component" - the linked instance will be removed.

Happens every damn time, particularly frustrating because I have to quit Sencha Architect on occasion to get it to stop closing the current file I'm working on after I've edited a resource (this is another bug though, which someone else has already posted.)

Edit: am going to prepare another test project that I'll upload here that'll allow you to reproduce this. Right now this is basically stopping me from getting any work done, as on reloading some random part of my project is simply removed and code is lost.

edit 2: attempting to reproduce this on a new project isn't giving me the error. Something must be screwed with my real project file, in which added components are not found. Any way I can help you guys debug this? Thanks.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by coolfish View Post
    edit 2: attempting to reproduce this on a new project isn't giving me the error. Something must be screwed with my real project file, in which added components are not found. Any way I can help you guys debug this? Thanks.
    Could you please send us a copy of your project which reliably reproduces this error? We should be able to fix the project for you so that it doesn't occur again. You can email the project and a link to this thread to (architect.feedback at sencha.com)

Quote Originally Posted by coolfish View Post
    Edit: am going to prepare another test project that I'll upload here that'll allow you to reproduce this. Right now this is basically stopping me from getting any work done, as on reloading some random part of my project is simply removed and code is lost.
    We've had one other report of a similar issue a few months ago. We were never able to reproduce how the project got into that state. As you saw it is quite difficult to repro.
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Sent you an email with the project. 2 zips, one causes a call stack overflow, the other has the behaviour described.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the projects, this will help us look into the bug.

Sencha - Architect Dev Team jjohnston's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

Hi coolfish, we're still investigating possible causes of your issues but I wanted to give you an update on our findings so far.

In the project that has the stack overflow, this is because somehow you have a linked instance that is a child of its own master instance (in MyNavigationView12). I'm trying to find how it could have gotten into this situation, because this should never be allowed -- if you have any idea what steps you took to get it in that state please let us know. However, you should be able to get the project back into a useable state by doing the following:
    1. In a text editor, open the file metadata/view/MyNavigationView12
    2. Delete the object within the "cn" array that has type:linkedinstance so it's just an empty array ("cn": [])
    3. Save the metadata file and open the project in Architect, it should now open correctly
    4. Re-link whatever component was supposed to be the child of the navigation view, if any.
    In the second project, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem according to the instructions in your email. I created a new NavigationView (MyNavigationView13), then dragged the FullDataList component in the inspector onto it and chose "Link". Then I saved and reopened the project and it was restored correctly without any errors. Am I following the steps correctly, or can you clarify them?
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure how I got it to get an instance to link to its child instance. That state happened while preparing the project which resulted in a loss of data when a new custom component was added to the project. To avoid the data loss, I make sure that the userAlias and userClassName is unique for the newly added custom component before saving & reopening the project. Try adding more than one instance of the custom component into the project.

Hope this helps

Vote Rating
    jjohnston will become famous soon enough jjohnston will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you've got some custom components saved to the toolbox which you're using to create new instances -- it's possible that the problem lies there. Would you be able to send us a copy of those custom toolbox components so we can inspect them for issues? (Right-click custom toolbox item -> Export to file)
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

The custom component is simply an extension of the Dataview.list component (with prepareData function overriden).

Vote Rating

Thanks, I'll try that, but would you mind sending us a copy of your saved component anyway? User components are somewhat unique in terms of internal ids etc. and I want to make sure that we're getting an exact testcase so we aren't missing anything.
    Jason Johnston
    @lojjic

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Ah, the tricky thing is that to get around this bug, I've been creating a new component each time. IIRC when I was running into this, the problem would pop up when the userAlias and userClassName were the same for two instances of the same component. If you do that, you're not getting the error?

It appears I don't have the component in my Architect anymore, as I've been creating the new component as described above rather than from the toolbox.

Thread Participants: 2