Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    darkling235 is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: FieldLabel Width

Answered: FieldLabel Width

We're having issues with the width of our fieldlabels. We're trying to coax them into taking up a certain amount of space in the container by adding them to VerticalLayoutContainers and giving them 100% width (new VerticalLayoutData(1, -1) but they tend to wrap without reaching it. I've used set LabelWidth to increase the space but this is fixed pixels. Is there a better way to handle dynamic sizing fieldlabels?
    We have the same problem whether the FieldLabel contains a widget or not. It's really a problem when people resize windows or have varying resolutions. What's the best approach to sizing the label?
    Thanks

2. Each FieldLabel gets its own width set - it doesn't measure all other local* FieldLabels to ensure they are consistent - it relies on you to give it reasonable defaults. One could perhaps build a widget like FieldLabel which takes text and a field and just lines them up, but doesn't try to get the widget aligned from one row to the next. This would probably be a CssFloatLayoutContainer - first add a Label, with width of -1 (i.e. measure it), then add the field itself with width of 1.0 (i.e. use all remaining unallocated space).

*How local should it be? In that same parent container? Somehow in the same column, across several containers? Across the app?

If you want to pre-measure your label strings before you try to draw, consider the GXT class TextMetrics. This will allow you to ask questions about how big a particular line of text will be. It may be necessary to first bind(Element) to a visible element that has the right font/size/decoration/weight as label in question - you'll need to test to see how it applies in your use case.

Instead of measuring each string within a specific area and taking the max to get them to all line up, join all strings with line breaks between them (i.e. the <br> tag), and measure the width all at once. This will perform only one measurement operation - these aren't exactly cheap, since they require the browser to render and lay out your text in the dom.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice Colin Alworth is just really nice

Each FieldLabel gets its own width set - it doesn't measure all other local* FieldLabels to ensure they are consistent - it relies on you to give it reasonable defaults. One could perhaps build a widget like FieldLabel which takes text and a field and just lines them up, but doesn't try to get the widget aligned from one row to the next. This would probably be a CssFloatLayoutContainer - first add a Label, with width of -1 (i.e. measure it), then add the field itself with width of 1.0 (i.e. use all remaining unallocated space).

*How local should it be? In that same parent container? Somehow in the same column, across several containers? Across the app?

If you want to pre-measure your label strings before you try to draw, consider the GXT class TextMetrics. This will allow you to ask questions about how big a particular line of text will be. It may be necessary to first bind(Element) to a visible element that has the right font/size/decoration/weight as label in question - you'll need to test to see how it applies in your use case.

Instead of measuring each string within a specific area and taking the max to get them to all line up, join all strings with line breaks between them (i.e. the <br> tag), and measure the width all at once. This will perform only one measurement operation - these aren't exactly cheap, since they require the browser to render and lay out your text in the dom.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    darkling235 is on a distinguished road

Wow, little more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the insight. I'll schedule a project to investigate this.

Thread Participants: 1