Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    lucaalex87 is on a distinguished road

Exclamation GXT 3 - animations going forever in Chrome 24 beta.

GXT 3 - animations going forever in Chrome 24 beta.

Hi,

If you try to run the Fx Slide In / Out any other Fx, it keeps going on forever:

http://www.sencha.com/examples/#ExamplePlace:fx

Get Chrome beta from here:
    https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/beta.html

Please debug and check what is going on. We don't want to have our users experience this, in case this beta becomes a Chrome release.

Regards,
    Alex Luca.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for pointing this out - we've seen this off and on for many Chrome Beta versions since around 20 or so, but they always fix it before a stable Chrome is released. From that we have to assume that if a user isn't using a stable Chrome version, they are willing to accept unstable behavior.

From some brief analysis of the animations that are failing, I would note that our animations are using the GWT animation code - we don't re-implement the animation timing, but make use of the same code that is found in GWT itself. I would suspect then that this bug will be present in some other GWT animations, and that a fix must either be made in Chrome itself, or in GWT. While we might be able to help in producing such a patch for GWT, it might not be worth it if Chrome is going to keep changing how that animation code works.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like this could be a bug related to this topic - the linked discussions of problems go back to May of this year, which seems to be about the time I started seeing reports of this breaking in Chrome from IRC. Indeed - the GWT Animation.update method is doing some bookkeeping to see if the animation ought to stop based on the value of the timestamp passed into the animation callback. This code is the same in GWT 2.4 and 2.5, as well as some other JS animation libraries.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=165505

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default Thanks

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the time invested to investigate this and answer back.

Let's hope that the Chrome team will fix this before a release .

Regards,
    Alex.

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Default CHrome 24 just got released.

CHrome 24 just got released.

Hi guys,

Google just released Chrome 24 with this defect inside.

So anyone with chrome (which is auto-updating), will see forever going animations in GXT.

So grab a standard Chrome, or update your own to Version 24.0.1312.52 m/
    Go to: http://www.sencha.com/examples/#ExamplePlace:fx

And start any animation.

What is the next step here?

Regards,
    Alex.

Software Architect
    Vote Rating
    sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light sven is a glorious beacon of light

This change was intentional by the Chrome team as stated in the bug report, it was also closed.

This needs to be fixed in GWT 2.4 itself. The AnimationSchedulerImplWebkit needs to be adjusted for this or all the other needs to be changed to follow this new pattern as in GWT 2.5

Ext GWT Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Question Possible solution ?

Possible solution ?

Hi sven,

We cannot wait for GWT or Chrome team to fix this. As we have a product released, that uses animations and as soon as Chrome will auto-update for our customers, incidents will start comming in with this.

Can you please elaborate on the possible solution described: "we could provide a fixed one (GWT Animation class) that you need to add to your classpath so its overriding the GWT one".

We are fine with overriding the GWT Animation class in order to fix this. We are using GWT 2.4.

When could this class be ready? We are thinking of releasing a fix for this issue, if there is one. So that our customers can use the webapp with Chrome.

Regards,
    Alex.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    doright is on a distinguished road

Default same problem here

same problem here

I've just had my users report the same problem using Version 24.0.1312.52 m on a PC.

Please let me know if you have a workaround it renders my app completely unusable.

thanks,
    Doug

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the updates - I've been watching a few other posts that are also reporting this in GWT itself. Once a fix is known, if it isn't available in a release, we can demonstrate how to patch it easily using GWT's rebind feature.

That said, https://groups.google.com/d/topic/go...4SE/discussion seems to indicate that this is fixed in GWT 2.5.0 - can anyone verify that this is working for them?

This Chromium bug also suggests that GWT has been corrected so that the problem does not occur: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=158910

Also reported and discussed here: https://plus.google.com/113357348071...ts/apHjmAcynRa

I'm not sure when we'll modify sencha.com/examples to use GWT 2.5 - we're currently testing in both GWT 2.4 and 2.5, as this is the only issue I'm aware of that is really a big problem in 2.4.

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Vote Rating

If for some reason you cannot use GWT 2.5, consider getting a copy to see the what code is in the Chrome-specific animation classes, and patching just those classes. I have not yet tested that, since there is a stable GWT release out there already with this fix, confirmed by multiple sources.

Thread Participants: 3