Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gkatz is on a distinguished road

Default get reference to 'parent object' from within a mixin

get reference to 'parent object' from within a mixin

Hi;
    I need to access a mixin 'parent object' from within the mixin. I though they share the same 'this' reference but it does not seem to be the case.
    how can I achieve this?
    thanks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

this should work:

Code:
    Ext.define('MyMixin', {
        foo : function() {
            this.setHtml('this worked');
        }
    });

Ext.define('MyView', {
        extend : 'Ext.Container',
        xtype  : 'myview',

mixins : {
            mymixin : 'MyMixin'
        },

initialize : function() {
            this.callParent();

this.mixins.mymixin.foo.call(this);
        }
    });

Ext.Viewport.add({
        xtype : 'myview'
    });
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gkatz is on a distinguished road

thanks for the fast reply!
    what I was looking for is a way for the mixin to get a reference to its 'parent object' in case of mixin->parent object communication. for example: say the mixin has some callback function, that is called from the outside, and needs to call the parent object as a result.
    for now what I did it simply 'send' the parent object to the mixin by implementing a init(fatherCmp) function in the mixin that must be called form the parent object's initialize function in order for things to work.
    Is there another way? if not, I think mixins should get such an option built in the ST framework...
    thanks in advance.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

So you have a parent class (MyView from my example) and you want to execute a method on the MyMixin? The mixin can be accessed from this.mixins or things are placed onto the parent class. Observable is a mixing and it puts the fireEvent method on the parent class, the parent class doesn't have that method.

If you want to fire a method on the parent class from the mixin, my example shows how to do this.

So the mixin can reference the parent class via the scope and the parent class can reference the mixin either by the this.mixins object or the things the mixins place on the parent class.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Thread Participants: 1