Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by mankz View Post
    Writing HTML to produce a web app is a bit like building a fancy 80-floor hotel, by putting one grain of sand in place after the other.
    So, ExtJS is built on sand?

One more reason to be concerned about global warming and rising sea levels.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by prd0000 View Post
    Anyone has experience with AngularJS? I've heard many good things for this framework.
    I had a chance to play with AngularJS. It's an impressive framework. It's a very serious competitor to jQuery... and this post explain why:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ery-background

The declarative style of programming saves you a lot of coding. This feature would simplify Ext JS controllers as well if it were available.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    jchau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for introducing AngularJS. It looks really cool. The object-oriented aspect of ExtJS plus its extensibility is super awesome, but it starts to feel more and more like one bloated sinking boat with the latest releases plagued by bugs and major performance issues. Also, if you look at the HTML generated by ExtJS components, it's pretty ridiculous. Once you go ExtJS, you are locked down to the framework. That can be both good and bad...

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all LesJ is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by LesJ View Post
    I had a chance to play with AngularJS. It's an impressive framework. It's a very serious competitor to jQuery... and this post explain why:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ery-background

The declarative style of programming saves you a lot of coding. This feature would simplify Ext JS controllers as well if it were available.
    If I may correct my own post... AngularJS is really not a framework. AngularJS developers call it a meta-framework, but I don't think this is a good description either. I'd rather call it a (proprietary) language that extends the HTML vocabulary.

I'll give them credit for being innovative, but I'd say the more I research AngularJS the less excited I'm about it. AngularJS parses HTML and it adds custom ng- attributes. AngularJS is about declarative style of programming, and while this approach might work for smaller application, it will be slow on larger apps due to the need of parsing.

I don't care about the Dependecy Injection pattern that AngularJS uses. I prefer the define/require pattern.

Finally, there are relatively few open source reusable components built w/ AngularJS.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mhayden is on a distinguished road

Default ExtJs is the best choice for large or small sites

ExtJs is the best choice for large or small sites

The only bad thing about ExtJs is the way developers who are new to Modern Javascript Web Application Development will read Ext's API and Example documents and take the document code <strong>verbatim.<br><br></strong>I worked at a $28 billion dollar a year company writing a large intranet application. The development was lead by <a href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/verbatim" target="_blank"><strong></strong></a>Junior Javascript developers. They had been working on that web application for quite some time when I arrived. The first thing I noticed is the lack of base classes. The only inheritance to speak of was the extending of Ext components in "views". Also there where no comments to tell you the type of variables coming in and out of any given method.<br><br>Now I want to stop here to clarify something....there where other issues...but I want to point out the following:<br>If you are reading this and do not understand why OOP principles, base classes, and comments are important in Modern Javascript Web Application Development, please do not read any further. You are a Junior Web Application developer. You will not understand what I am pointing out in this post. As for the other 2 or 3 readers who are at a Senior Level building Web Applications please read on (no disrespect intended ).<br><br>As I was saying, there where many, many other issues, which I won't go into. The cause of all the issues I saw in this app where again due to the lead developers (who again where great people, but they where Junior Web Application Developers...this was their first time at the Rhodeo) taking the API documentation code and example code <strong>verbatim</strong>. There needs to be a clear warning somewhere along every page of the API Documentation and example code that states the following:<br><br>"The code used in these pages are written for the sake of brevity. The code samples contained in these pages should not be taken as best practice. The code in these pages are used to explain a specific use case and are therefore intentionally written in this way for the sake of brevity (so you don't have to read so much text)."<br><br>I have written many large applications using Dojo, Yui, ActionsScript, Robot Legs, BackBone, Angular, and ExtJs. My favorite is ExtJs. My second choice is a tie between Dojo and Yui.<br>ExtJs has the most consistent components. The MVC Architecture they have implemented is awesome. You really have to be a Senior level developer to fully appreciate what ExtJs is giving the Modern Front-End Web Application Developer.<br><br>To let you know my age, I was working with Yui when ExtJs forked off. Great work work!!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>