Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    DineshGudikandula is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Migrate From ExtJs 3.x to 4.x ,my Application developed with ExtJs 3.4 & 4.1

Unanswered: Migrate From ExtJs 3.x to 4.x ,my Application developed with ExtJs 3.4 & 4.1

Hi all....
    In my project code is return in the combination of ExtJs 3.4 and 4.1.And it is big project(size of 850M.It is big change for me to change the ExtJs 3.x code into 4.1.Can any one help me to follow the terms and conditions,What are the steps i need to follow for migrating code.And one more thing i gone throw the Brian Moeskau ExtJs 3 to 4 Migration video (part1 & part2).
    any help.....

Thanks in Advance...

Sencha - Community Support Team friend's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    friend has a spectacular aura about friend has a spectacular aura about

Disclaimer: This is strictly a personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I recommend first learning the new ExtJs MVC design thoroughly, then creating an ExtJs v4.x skeleton app and slowly re-implementing your application, piece by piece using the new MVC design patterns.

I say this from personal experience as I once tried to migrate a large v3.x app to v4.x and found it to be painful and frustrating. In the long run, I was much better off reimplementing the app with a solid MVC foundation and I was shocked at how much code I actually eliminated during the rewrite.

Having gone through this process, I now stand on a soapbox and shout to any developer who will listen about the awesomeness of the ExtJs MVC design....

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    DineshGudikandula is on a distinguished road

Thanks friend..for your opinion...
    And Friend... It is very difficult and long time work..
    Is there any way like first give the support to run my application.And after run my application it show some errors related to changes code from v3.x to v4.x .And I solve those errors one by one go thru the errors in the debugger.

Any hope like this...?

Sencha - Community Support Team friend's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    friend has a spectacular aura about friend has a spectacular aura about

I understand completely what you're saying; it's a big, painful task to consider a rewrite and may not be feasible for you.

Sencha offers an ExtJs 3 compatibility layer, but I've never tried it:

http://www.sencha.com/blog/ext-js-3-to-4-migration/

Otherwise, as a worst case scenario, rip out your ExtJs v3.x library, replace it with ExtJs v4.x, try running the app and address each blow-up, one at a time. I still prefer using Firefox with the Firebug add-on for tracking down errors via the console, but Chrome's native developer tools are also pretty similar.

Thread Participants: 1