Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    TampaBay55 is on a distinguished road

Default Issue with IE7 How to debug?

Issue with IE7 How to debug?

Greetings:

I have an application that works in IE9 / Safari / Chrome / Firefox. It will not work in IE7 or IE9- Compatibility View and the error that is thrown is:

HTML Code:
    Unable to get value of the property 'isField': object is null or undefined 
    ext-all.js, line 21 character 43078

I am not really sure how to debug this issue. Any suggestions?

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

You can try IE9 in IE7 mode (press F12), it sometimes exhibits the same behaviour...

Edit: Oh, you've tried that. Erm... do you get the same issue with ext-all-debug or ext-all-dev?
    Product Architect
    Altus Ltd.

Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

As westy says, ext-all-dev with IE 9 Compatibility Mode is the way to go to debug it.

My guess would be that you have a stray comma, possibly in a fields array. Any half-decent IDE should be picking up that kind of mistake though.

Vote Rating
    vadimv will become famous soon enough vadimv will become famous soon enough

Besides what guys suggested you you can debug in IE with Visual Studio. Don't remember the exactly steps, but following link may help you to get starting: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...vaScript-in-IE

Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. I used to use this all the time before IE8 was released. It isn't just Visual Studio either, some other applications (e.g. some versions of Office) came bundled with a debugger. The article you linked seems to tally with my recollection of what was involved.

Sencha Premium Member jordandev's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jordandev is on a distinguished road

Use a VM with IE7 on it. Either make your own or Microsoft provides an image for these here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=11575

Then with IE7 you can use various different tools to debug javascript. The best is to attach a debugger with Visual Studio but if you don't have that there are other things like Microsoft Script Debugger, Firebug Lite, DebugBar, etc.